Re: [Synoptic-L] AMatt's attempt to make his source "suitable"

  • Jeffrey B. Gibson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 29, 1999
      "Jeffrey B. Gibson" wrote:

      > [snip]

      > Assuming that I've stated your claim correctly, I must say that the whole thing
      > baffles me. To say that AMatt found the document heretical or in need of change
      > before it would be suitable to other Christians implies that the teaching of the
      > historical Jesus, of whom AMatt was presumably a follower, was using some
      > criteria other than the teaching of the Historical Jesus to determine what Jesus
      > actually taught.

      Obviously the paragraph above makes little sense. It should have read:

      Assuming that I've stated your claim correctly, I must say that the whole thing
      baffles me. To say that AMatt found the document heretical or in need of change
      before it would be suitable to other Christians implies that AMatt (a) had
      abandoned what was originally, and originally known to be, the truth with respect
      to what Jesus taught, and (b) had become committed to some other non-Jesus rooted
      version of Christianity, some criteria **other than** the actual teaching of the
      Historical Jesus, and (c) used **this** to construct from the original teaching what
      he (AMatt) then wanted to convey about what Jesus actually taught.

      Yours,

      Jeffrey
      --
      Jeffrey B. Gibson