[Synoptic-L] What did Paipas say about Matthew/GMatthew

  • Jeffrey B. Gibson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 29, 1999
      It is a commonplace for at least one List member to appeal to Papias and
      his statements about the origin of the Gospel of Matthew in support of
      several key pillars of his (their) "solution" to the Synoptic Problem --
      these pillars being that GMatthew, or something on which it is based or
      with which it is identified, was composed (1) prior to the other three
      canonical Gospels and (2) in either Hebrew or Aramaic.

      I would like to put forward the proposition that we debate whether
      actually Papias says any such thing when he says MATQAIOS MEN OUN
      EBRAIDI DIALEKTW TA LOGIA SUNETAXATO (hHRMHHNEUSEN DEAUTA hWS HN DUNATOS
      EKASTOS). Would List members like to join me in this? If so, the
      questions that we need to answer are:

      1. What does Papias mean by the TA LOGIA which he says Matthew
      SUNETAXATO.

      2. What, according to Papias, is the activity that Matthew undertook
      with respect to TA LOGIA. That is to say, what is the meaning of
      SUNETAXATO?

      3. Is, as is assumed without argument by certain List members, the only
      meaning that EBRAIDI DIALEKTW can bear "in the Hebrew/Aramaic language"?
      If not, what other renderings are possible? Likely?

      4. What significance does the phrase MEN OUN have here?

      5. Does the EKASTOS ("everyone") in the expression hHRMHNEUSEN DEAUTA
      hWS HN DUNATOS EKASTOS refer to the other, let alone any, of the
      canonical evangelists?

      6. Does the phrase hHRMHNEUSEN DEAUTA require the rendering "translated
      them" (with the implication "into Greek"), or can it be seen as
      indicating Greek speakers "interpreting" or "exegeting" or even
      "applying" something that was not in need of translation?

      7. What significance, if any. with respect to the order of Gospel
      composition do we give to the fact that Papias gives his description of
      the tradition which he heard about Matthew AFTER he gives his
      description of the tradition he heard about GMark.

      8. When did Papias live and when do we date the composition of the words
      quoted above? (the answer to this question has a bearing on the truth of
      certain List members' claims that our Greek canonical Gospels are
      actually very late first century if not second century products)

      Yours,

      Jeffrey Gibson
      --
      Jeffrey B. Gibson