[Synoptic-L] Convenient Translations

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 29, 1999
      Jimi Fosdick wrote -

      >I have what is no doubt an exceedingly basic question regarding
      >synoptic english translations. While reading GMk in greek (very slowly
      >I should point out as I am only just learning NT Greek) I was struck by
      >the fact that GMk 1:2 refers to the prophet Isaiah specifically before
      >quoting first Malachi THEN Isaiah. This strikes me as an error (which
      >it seems to me is irrefutably an error even to inerrantists), however
      >in the KJV it is glossed over when the greek is translated "as it is
      >written in the prophets" whereas in the NIV the error stands. Is it
      >common for the KJV to tidy up errors in the synoptic gospels? Which
      >english translation is the best for studying the synoptic problem?

      Jimi,
      I would recommend you buy the GREEK-ENGLISH Tenth Edition of
      "Synopsis of the Four Gospels" edited by Kurt Aland (Stuttgart, 1993),
      or any later GREEK-ENGLISH edition of this if one has appeared since
      1993.

      This is a marvellous book because it uses a modern critical Greek text
      of the Gospels on the left-hand page with the Second Edition of the
      Revised Standard Version on the right-hand page. The English words are
      arranged so that they parallel the Greek words individually, as far as
      this is possible.

      As regards the proof text attributed to Isaiah in Mk 1.2-3 when part of
      this is from Malachi (and Exodus), you might like to look also at the
      proof text in the story of Jesus at Nazareth in Lk 4.18-19 -

      "The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to preach
      good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to the
      captives and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty those
      who are oppressed, to proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord."

      If you compare this with Isaiah , it is more than one part of Isaiah
      brought together ( Isaiah 61.1-2 and 58.6 ). It is "composite" like Mk
      1.2b-3.

      E-MAIL: brian@... HOMEPAGE ***RECENTLY UPDATED*** (AGAIN)
      SNAILMAIL: Rev B. E. Wilson,