Stylometric Study

  • Mike Bossingham
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 30, 1998
      Hi,

      My name's Mike Bossingham and I normally listen to the list and
      keep quiet. However Mark recently talked about stylometric study.

      I, too, feel that looking at vocabulary is not a good way of looking
      at an author's style. So I developed some software to look at the
      word order of sentences.

      I looked at word pairs (with every word appearing twice, compared
      with the one before and one after). The word is parsed and the
      combinations of grammar types counted. The result is then plotted
      as a "contour map", giving a finger print for a piece of text.

      I have loaded into my website some sample fingerprints for you
      to look at. The URL is:-
      http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/MikeBossingham/figs.htm

      I am sorry about the quality, but they are scanned out of my thesis - and
      thats difficult when it is bound!!

      The symbols in the diagrams mean :-

      IP - Improper preposition
      PA - Particle
      SB - Sentence break
      CJ - Conjunction
      PN - Pronoun
      VE - Verb
      NO - Noun
      AR - Article
      PP - Preposition
      AJ - Adjective
      AV - Adverb
      IN - Interjection

      A quick look will show that the finger prints look similar where they
      should (ie Luke/Acts) and different
      where they should.

      The software needs a lot more work - for example it only looks at whole
      books - and
      it needs to be brought into Windows. But I think with some work it could be
      a useful tool in this area of work.

      I am happy to discuss the techniques used with anyone who is interested and
      can
      talk computer.

      God Bless

      Mike Bossingham
      15 St Mark's Rd.,
      Maidenhead
      Berks
    • Mahlon H. Smith
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 28, 1998
        Mike Bossingham wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > My name's Mike Bossingham and I normally listen to the list and
        > keep quiet. However Mark recently talked about stylometric study.
        >
        > I, too, feel that looking at vocabulary is not a good way of looking
        > at an author's style. So I developed some software to look at the
        > word order of sentences.
        <SNIP>
        > I have loaded into my website some sample fingerprints for you
        > to look at. The URL is:-
        > http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/MikeBossingham/figs.htm

        Hello Mike:

        Lurkers with substantive contributions like your stylometric software
        are certainly welcome to post on Synoptic-L. But you had better review
        the URL you gave us. I clicked it & got a site-unknown message. Did you
        make a typo or have you taken your homepage elsewhere? Even if no one
        else is interested, I'd like to check it out.

        Shalom!

        Mahlon
        --
        *****