Re: Q, and another theory

  • BMDainton
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 26, 1998
      Dear all (especially Prof. Longstaff)

      Thank you for your replies to my posting of Wednesday night. I must confess
      that by the time I had read all the replies I felt thoroughly rebuked for
      daring to question the party line. : )

      Sorry about not putting a "signature file" on the bottom. I'd forgotten about
      the committee's request, and I'm not sure I know how to do it anyway. Also,
      I've nothing much to put in it, as I don't hold an academic post, and I'm not
      an ordained minister. I did My MA under Professor Stanton at King's College,
      London three or four years ago (though my views on Q are all mine, I assure
      you).

      With regard to the question of the relationship between the Synoptic gospels,
      I'm aware of the statistics Dr Longstaff provides. What I would be interested
      to see is some definition of the terms "identical" and "closely parallel". As
      I suggested last night, when I did a bit of synoptic work, the texts I was
      looking at didn't seem as identical as I had expected them to. When I
      mentioned this to Dr Stanton he admitted that this was commonly the case when
      students first try synoptic work, but that the more Synoptic study one does
      the more the evidence accumulates. Perhaps, but I must confess I have never
      taken him up on the issue.

      As to the relevance of the Synoptic problem, perhaps I put it too
      provocatively last night, to judge by the vehemence of the replies. I
      wouldn't be on this list if I didn't think that the Synoptics were worth
      studying, and studying synoptically. What I've never grasped though, is how
      assigning this bit to M and that bit to Q etc. etc., furthers our
      understanding. It's the value of source theories that I find hard.

      Yours sincerely

      Bernard Dainton
      Elder, Heaton Road Church, Peckham, LONDON, UK
      e-mail: BMDainton@...
      ph: 0171 703 5088

      PS., please call me Bernard.