[Synoptic-L] New book: Luke's Portrait of Gentiles

  • Wieland Willker
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 8, 1999
      Christoph W. Stenschke:
      Luke's Portrait of Gentiles Prior to Their Coming to Faith

      1999. XVIII, 460 pages (Wissenschaftliche Untersuchungen zum Neuen Testament
      2. Reihe 108). ISBN 3-16-147139-3 paper DM 128.00 / oeS 934.00 / sFR 109.00
      (August)

      Why did the Gentiles need salvation? What is wrong with them before they
      encounter the Christian mission? Christoph W. Stenschke offers a
      comprehensive study of Luke's view of the Gentiles and provides the reason
      for Christian mission.
      Christoph W. Stenschke examines Luke's portrait of the Gentiles' state prior
      to their coming to Christian faith. Following the history of research, he
      commences with Luke's direct references to the Gentiles prior to faith and
      then draws conclusions concerning their state from the Gentile encounter
      with Jesus and Christian salvation. This includes Luke's notes on the
      condition of Gentiles and on their appropriation of salvation. Finally
      conclusions from Luke's portrayal of Gentile Christians are drawn.
      With his approach Christoph W. Stenschke challenges some previous
      contributions to Lukan anthropology. He argues that the main study in the
      field (J.-W. Taeger, Der Mensch und sein Heil) does not sufficiently
      consider all the evidence. By concentrating on the Gentiles in Luke-Act
      (including Samaritans and God-fearers) the author's thesis covers all the
      relevant material. Contrary to Taeger, who suggests that Gentiles do not
      need 'salvation' as much as 'correction', he discovers that Luke portrays
      Gentiles prior to faith in a condition requiring God's saving intervention.
      Thorough correction has to accompany and follow this salvation. Though
      allowing for distinct Lukan emphases, this portrait is not essentially at
      odds with that of other NT authors.
      These results further show that the Areopagus speech needs to and can be
      satisfactorily interpreted in its context and in conjunction with similar
      statements. The author further argues that Luke's narrative sections and the
      characterization they present should no longer be neglected in favour of the
      speeches. Luke's portrayal of Gentiles prior to faith also bears on his
      understanding of sin and provides additional justification for the Gentile
      mission. Christoph W. Stenschke challenges proposals of Luke's alleged
      anti-Judaism and provides some hitherto little-noticed correctives.
      ------
    • Stevan Davies
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 8, 1999
        Thank you for the review. But what is the answer?

        =======
        > Contrary to Taeger, who suggests that Gentiles do not
        > need 'salvation' as much as 'correction', he discovers that Luke portrays
        > Gentiles prior to faith in a condition requiring God's saving
        > intervention.

        I'm left wondering what condition the Gentiles were in, prior
        to faith, that required God's saving intervention.

        Steve Davies