Re: [Synoptic-L] New Book on the Synoptic Problem

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 4, 1999
      In a message dated 7/3/1999 9:38:32 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      scarlson@... writes:

      <<
      I found out that the following book is about to poublished:

      The Synoptic Problem and Q : Selected Studies from Novum Testamentum
      (Brill's Readers in Biblical Studies, 4)
      by David E. Orton (Compiler)
      Hardcover (June 1999)
      Brill Academic Publishers; ISBN: 9004113428
      Not Yet Available: You may still order this title.
      We will ship it to you when it is released by the publisher.

      Does anybody on the list know anything about it?

      I haven't seen this particular volume of that series, but I have seen a
      couple of the other volumes that are already out (apparently they are to be
      published just in paper-back format), and I think they will be very useful.
      An editor has selected the best articles from Novum Testamentum, since its
      inception, on a given topic. I believe only English articles are chosen, but
      in the volume on the Gospel of Luke, which I have seen, there is an
      introductory article which lists the German articles from the same periodical
      that would have been included had the policy been to include them. (I have
      seen the volume of the series on the Gospel of Luke, which has really
      interesting essays, a number of them by Dutch scholars who are quite original
      in their approach and perhaps not that well known in the States).
      Oh, I believe David Orton also edits the volume on Luke. Perhaps he edits all
      the volumes. I would highly recommend his own book on Matthew against the
      background of the apocalyptic scribe (published in the early 90's, if I am
      not mistaken).