Re: [Synoptic-L] Mk 1,1

  • Jim Deardorff
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 3, 1999
      At 10:14 AM 7/3/99 +0300, Sakari Häkkinen wrote:
      >Dear friends,
      >thank you for your answers. I noticed from the three first
      >mails that the issue is far from solved. That is what I was
      >looking for. ...

      >Jim,
      >does "AH viewpoint" mean the hypothesis that GMt was the
      >first written Gospel?

      Yes, AH stands for the Augustinian hypothesis.

      >Your suggestion that ARCH is meant to
      >correct the beginning of GMt does not convince me. Nothing
      >in the text supports that.

      There are a lot of places in Mark where it shows dependence upon Matthew.
      Some of these are improvements over Matthew, some others are attempted
      improvements that weren't given careful consideration. Most of them show
      dependence in other ways.

      Mt 1:1 could obviously be improved, as AMt's book wasn't a genealogy. The
      genealogy was just the beginning of Matthew. So AMk can be seen as having
      improved upon Matthew here.

      >If that were the case, shouldn't
      >AMk give at least some clearer hints if not explying his
      >critics to GMt?

      There are many indications that AMk did not wish his gospel or EUAGGELION to
      appear to be dependent upon Matthew. So, AMk did not come out and say that
      his gospel depended upon Matthew. He made his gospel look quite different by
      being much shorter, writing it in Greek not Hebrew or Aramaic, adding many
      dualisms or redundancies, making it pro-gentile, etc. Thus one may keep
      one's eyes open for the clues or hints that this is what happened, and then
      one finds them.

      >To begin a book of this type (new type?) ARCH is not a bad
      >first word at all. Genesis begins in LXX by the words EN
      >ARCH (like the 4th Gospel). The style of AMk might be here
      >more intentional than sometimes has been thought.

      Yes, that's why it can be seen as an improvement over Matthew, from the AH
      viewpoint.

      Jim Deardorff
      Corvallis, Oregon
      E-mail: deardorj@...