[Synoptic-L] Re: New Synoptic Concordance

  • Dennis Sullivan
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 1999
      Synoptic-L listmembers,

      I received this note from David Bivin recently:

      Maybe you could do us a favor and announce to the Synoptic-L people (and
      other discussion groups) that for those who need a synoptic concordance
      NOW, and prefer not to wait until volumes 2, 3 and 4 of the new
      concordance appear -- and who don't have the new concordance's $700
      price -- they could purchase Dr. Lindsey's excellent synoptic
      concordance (COMPLETE in 3 volumes) for only $225 (plus $15 postage) at
      http://www.JerusalemPerspective.com/bookstore/, or order directly from
      Jerusalem (see JP address and phone and fax numbers below). Click on
      "Books" and then on "Bible Tools."

      Thanks,

      David

      --
      David Bivin
      http://www.JerusalemPerspective.com

      R. L. Lindsey, ed. A Comparative Greek Concordance of the Synoptic
      Gospels. 3 volumes: 1985, 1988, 1989 (1078 pages, hardcover).

      This is a unique concordance of the Synoptic Gospels. Most New Testament
      concordances list entries in order of their appearance, which makes it
      quite difficult to determine whether a word in the Synoptic Gospels is
      used in one or both of the other Synoptic Gospels in parallel pericopae,
      or whether the word is omitted or substituted by another word in the
      parallels. One is forced to turn to all the parallel passages and check
      each reference individually. With Lindsey’s concordance, the student can
      immediately get the answer to these questions. An ordinary Greek New
      Testament concordance, for example, would list the four occurrences of
      euangelion (gospel) in Matthew before the word’s first occurrence in
      Mark, but Lindsey’s synoptic concordance lists the first occurrence of
      euangelion as Mark 1:1 since that is the first occurrence of the word in
      a synopsis.

      The concordance includes a 10-page Introduction by Lindsey that Prof.
      Flusser of the Hebrew University says is the finest piece of scholarship
      that Lindsey ever produced. Although this tool is only for those who
      have at least a basic knowledge of Greek, it is indispensable for
      students of the Synoptic Gospels.

      Dennis Sullivan Dayton Ohio