Re: [Synoptic-L] Only a few years apart?

  • Jim Deardorff
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 29, 1999

      >Jim,
      > Are you agreeing that the synoptic gospels may well have been
      >written within a few years of each other (but much later than 72-75 CE)?

      Brian,

      Yes, that's what a straightforward interpretation of the external evidence
      for the AH suggests, if theological commitment were to be cast aside. I.e.,
      the strongly anti-gentile stance of Semitic Matthew, coming at a relatively
      late date (early 2nd century), would demand a written correction right away
      to ensure that gentiles would be encouraged to be disciples rather than
      being discouraged. But then Mark's consequent disparaging comments against
      the disciples, relative to Matthew, and its omission of much valuable
      Judaistic material, also needed correction, again without too much delay, in
      order to provide a conciliation between the pro-gentile and anti-gentile
      factions. Thus Luke was written, with the above problems remedied (though
      with new ones introduced).

      By then, certain members of the clergy at the provenance where Semitic
      Matthew had been written must have realized, without too much delay, that it
      had to be translated into Greek, and altered a bit, if it were to maintain
      or regain its authority within the expanding Christian world.

      I would presume that each new writing in this synoptic series occurred
      within about 1 to 4 years of the preceding one.

      Jim Deardorff
      Corvallis, Oregon
      E-mail: deardorj@...