Re: versions of the eucharist; Lk:22:19b-20

  • Yuri Kuchinsky
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 26, 1998
      On Tue, 24 Mar 1998, Richard H. Anderson wrote:

      > Yuri said: > Richard, since _all_ very early Christians were Jewish, I
      > don't think >one > needs to wonder too hard whether or not they would
      > have had serious > problems consuming blood.

      > Yuri, since we are talking about the GLuke, [which in your
      > opinion; Is this your opinion?] written by a Gentile to a Gentile late
      > in the first century,

      Well, Richard, I'm not sure that it was written by a Gentile. As far as
      the audience, it was most likely a mixed audience, Jewish and Gentile
      Christians.

      By the way, I think the earliest and rather short version of Lk would have
      been written very early, perhaps ca. 60.

      > do you still believe a scribe among the audience
      > of GLuke would have altered GLuke in the manner you have said to make
      > the gospel more palatable to his Gentile audience?

      Basically, our mss overwhelmingly attest Lk with a longer version of the
      eucharist. So this would have been the gospel as "promulgated officially",
      perhaps early in the 2nd century. But it proved troublesome for some
      congregations, and hence was abridged a little. So this is my position.

      Best wishes,

      Yuri.

      Yuri Kuchinsky | Webpage for those who think they have
      Toronto | heard of every biblical heresy:

      http://www.trends.net/~yuku/bbl/bbl.htm

      equivalent to becoming God -=O=- Julian