[Synoptic-L] Tatian's Diatessaron

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 26, 1999
      Please does anyone know whether, in his Diatessaron, Tatian on the whole
      preferred MATTHEW'S order of passages containing the double tradition to
      LUKE'S order (where they differ)?

      Did the Diatessaron include the Sermon on the Mount but not the Sermon
      on the Plain, for instance?

      Any pointers to appropriate material on this would be gratefully
      received.

      E-MAIL: brian@... HOMEPAGE
      SNAILMAIL: Rev B. E. Wilson,
      Huntingdon, Cambs, PE18 8EB, UK
    • David Barrett Peabody
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 26, 1999
        Brian,

        I don't know the answer to your questions, but they are very interesting
        questions. To the best of my knowledge, the definitive work on Tatian in
        English is now the following by William Lawrence Petersen. In seeking an
        answer to your questions, I would start here and with the other books that
        Petersen has written relating to Tatian.

        %START:

        %HOLLIS#: HU AZQ7957

        %FORMAT: bks

        %YEAR: 1994

        %AUTHOR: Petersen, William Lawrence, 1950-

        %TITLE: Tatian's Diatessaron: its creation, dissemination, significance, and

        history in scholarship.

        %EDITION:

        %PUB. INFO: Leiden; New York: E.J. Brill, 1994.

        %PUBLISHED IN:

        %SUMMARY:

        %SERIES: Supplements to Vigiliae Christianae,, ISSN 0920-623X; v. 25

        %FREQUENCY:

        %NOTES: Includes bibliographical references (p. [491]-521) and indexes.

        %NUMBERS: ISBN 9004094695 (alk. paper). ISBN 9004100342 (alk. paper)

        %SUBJECTS: Tatian, ca. 120-173. \ Bible. N.T. Gospels. Syriac. Diatessaron-

        -Criticism, Textual.

        %AUTHORS: Petersen, William Lawrence, 1950-

        %LOCATION: Andover-Harv. Theol: BS2550.T2 P43 1994

        \Widener: WID-LC BS2550.T2 P43 1994

        \Dumbarton Oaks (Byz): RE 605.S8P3

        %END:

        David B. Peabody