transliterations on Synoptic-L

  • James R. Adair
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 13, 1998
      The Synoptic-L Web page (http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/synoptic-l)
      suggests using the B-Greek transliteration scheme for rendering Greek in
      e-mail messages. I think that it might be preferable to use the TLG
      encoding scheme (which differs from B-Greek only in that xi=C and chi=X)
      instead, since it is a more widely recognized standard, used for both
      classical and NT Greek. All of the electronic Greek NT files that I have
      use TLG, and we have adopted it on the tc-list as well. What do others
      think?

      I would also like to say that I'm glad to see this list established. I
      think smaller, more targeted e-mail discussion lists like this one are
      much more useful to list members than the more general lists of an earlier
      era.

      Jimmy Adair, Listowner, TC-List
      and
      -------------> http://shemesh.scholar.emory.edu <--------------
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 16, 1998
        At 02:19 2/13/98 -0500, James R. Adair wrote:
        >The Synoptic-L Web page (http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/synoptic-l)
        >suggests using the B-Greek transliteration scheme for rendering Greek in
        >e-mail messages. I think that it might be preferable to use the TLG
        >encoding scheme (which differs from B-Greek only in that xi=C and chi=X)
        >instead, since it is a more widely recognized standard, used for both
        >classical and NT Greek. All of the electronic Greek NT files that I have
        >use TLG, and we have adopted it on the tc-list as well. What do others
        >think?

        The B-Greek transliteration scheme also differs in a few other places
        from TLG, especially in handling the breathings. I believe that the
        intent for Synoptic-L is similar to B-Greek: not to be dogmatic about
        any one particular transliteration scheme but suggest a popular system
        that many have found useful, viz. the B-Greek version. Since everyone
        on Synoptic-L is generally expected to know Greek, it is usually not
        that difficult to read Greek in another transliteration system. Of
        course, if you are copying-and-pasting texts from TLG encoded files,
        don't feel that you must go through the bother and trouble of recoding
        your Greek into the suggested scheme.

        >I would also like to say that I'm glad to see this list established. I
        >think smaller, more targeted e-mail discussion lists like this one are
        >much more useful to list members than the more general lists of an earlier
        >era.

        Thank you.

        Stephen C. Carlson : Poetry speaks of aspirations,
        scarlson@... : and songs chant the words.
        http://www.mindspring.com/~scarlson/ : -- Shujing 2.35