[Synoptic-L] Re: Temple "Cleansing"

  • Antonio Jerez
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 2, 1999
      Mark Matson wrote:

      > btw, I was most interested in Donald Murphy's comments, especially
      > since it relates also to the Fourth Gospel, but since that is outside
      > the purview of this list, I will refrain. Where does one talk about
      > John-Synoptic relationships? There is a Synoptic list, and a John
      > list.....

      I thought the relationship between GJohn and the Synoptics
      was well within the bounds of the discussion range on this
      list. Or am I mistaken?

      Best wishes

      Antonio Jerez
      Goteborg, Sweden
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 8, 1999
        In a message dated 6/4/1999 7:26:45 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
        M.S.GOODACRE@... writes:

        <<
        Is it not the case, therefore, that Luke has Jesus clear the temple of
        sellers
        in 19.45, in order that it can be used, as Luke thinks it should be used,
        for
        prayer (19.46), praise (24.53) and teaching (20-21, cf. 2.41-52)?

        Indeed, and 19:47, which forms an inclusion with 21:37-38, should be added to
        the last series of citations - on teaching. One should not, however, miss the
        revolutionary character of the narrative. The temple has now become the
        place, not for teaching in general, but for JESUS' teaching, and the
        authorized and conventional teachers of Judaism have been silenced.