Re: [Synoptic-L] Biographical Information

  • Edgar Krentz
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 4, 1999
      >I'm looking for biographical information on the following
      >scholars of the synoptic problem, especially about their
      >lifespans (i.e. birth and death dates):
      >
      >E.A.Abbott
      >F.H.Woods
      >J.C.Hawkins
      >W.C.Allen
      >F.C.Burkitt
      >W.Sanday
      >P.Wernle
      >
      >Does anybody have this information or can point me to a
      >good source? I am aware of the list of Q Pioneers near
      >the back of Kloppenborg's Q PARALLELS and of Mahlon
      >Smith's glossary articles on pioneering synoptic problem
      >scholars, but these people are not on those lists.
      >
      >Stephen Carlson
      >--
      >Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...
      >Synoptic Problem Home Page http://www.mindspring.com/~scarlson/synopt/
      >"Poetry speaks of aspirations, and songs chant the words." Shujing 2.35

      For P. Wernle (and perhaps others) try the following:

      Allgemeine deutsche Biographie, Neue deutsche Biographie, Die Religion in
      Geschichte und Gegenwart (all three editions), Dictionary of National
      Biography.

      If a convenient library has the London Times, check the obituaries in the
      relevant years.

      Edgar Krentz
      Professor of New Testament Emeritus
      Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago