Re: words in Mark not found elsewhere in the synoptic gospels

  • Dennis Sullivan
    Message 1 of 3 , May 13, 1999
      Shalom, Brian!

      I don't know of such a list, but it shouldn't be too difficult to prepare
      one using the Bible Works software. I haven't yet learned all the tricks of
      the search commands, but I'll try to develop a search that will give us
      these results. I'm interested in this, too. I'll need a few days to work on
      it...

      Interesting, also: I recently ran across a list in Stoldt's introduction
      that's nearly identical to the lists I posted here some time ago (in
      English) of what I referred to as "Mark's creativity". (I acquired a copy
      of Stoldt's book only a week ago, during the process of building up my
      synoptics library.)

      I have under construction a table of Markan (Greek) words or phrases that
      appear to have been borrowed from Luke's writings and used by Mark in
      non-parallel pericopes (some, of course, would argue for the opposite
      directionality). Mark Goodacre has seen an early version of this table, but
      I've expanded it to five pages since that time, and continue to add examples
      as I find them. I started with some examples cited by Robert L. Lindsey in
      his "Hebrew Translation of Mark", and added others as I found them. So far,
      there are eighty or more examples. Considering Mark's other expressions that
      appear to have been adapted from James' and Paul's writings, Mark begins to
      look like quite a wordsmith.

      I understand that the "Synoptic Gospels" journal will be publishing these
      tables along with an article discussing their significance by one of the
      JSSR scholars. I don't know when we'll see this article, but the inaugural
      issue of the journal is planned for this coming September.

      Best Wishes,

      Dennis Sullivan Dayton Ohio (Friend of the Jerusalem School)
      www.jerusalemperspective.com

      Message 2 of 3 , May 14, 1999
        Jonathan Ryder wrote -

        >Have you come across 'A Comparative Greek Concordance of the Synoptic
        >Gospels/ collator and compiler Elmar Camillo dos Santos (and James
        >Leonard Burnham); editor Robert Lisle Lindsey (Jerusalem: Dugith,
        >[1985?]-1989) in 3 vol'?

        Jonathan,
        Thanks for the thought. In fact I have my own copy of this and
        recommended it to others on Synoptic-L some months ago. The concordance
        runs to a thousand pages. I had tried using it to compile a list of
        words beginning with Alpha which are in Mark and not found elsewhere in
        the synoptics. This took hours, and was problematic because it was so
        easy to miss entries for Mark only. I would like an accurate list,
        without having to spend too much time sifting through printed columns
        and double-checking observations. Hence my request to Synoptic-L in case
        one has already been published.

        I have just received an off-List message from a software engineer in
        Cambridge, UK, who follows the correspondence on Synoptic-L with an
        eagle eye, and knows a lot about the synoptic problem (though he does
        not read Greek!). It seems he might be able to write a program to
        process files of the synoptic gospels in Greek and produce the required
        output. Apparently the software engineering terminology for this is a
        "cross reference".

        E-MAIL: brian@... HOMEPAGE
        SNAILMAIL: Rev B. E. Wilson,
        Huntingdon, Cambs, PE18 8EB, UK