words in Mark not found elsewhere in the synoptic gospels

    Message 1 of 3 , May 13, 1999
      I notice that in the old commentary on the Greek text of Matthew by A.
      S. McNeile (London, 1915) page 442, there is a list in Greek of "Words
      (in Matthew) not found elsewhere in the synoptic gospels". This gives
      alphabetically the chapter and verse reference for each occurrence of a
      word in Matthew not found in Mark or Luke.

      Please does anyone know of a similar published index of Greek words in
      **Mark** not found elsewhere in the synoptic gospels?

      E-MAIL: brian@... HOMEPAGE
      SNAILMAIL: Rev B. E. Wilson,
      Huntingdon, Cambs, PE18 8EB, UK
    • Dennis Sullivan
      Message 2 of 3 , May 13, 1999
        Shalom, Brian!

        I don't know of such a list, but it shouldn't be too difficult to prepare
        one using the Bible Works software. I haven't yet learned all the tricks of
        the search commands, but I'll try to develop a search that will give us
        these results. I'm interested in this, too. I'll need a few days to work on
        it...

        Interesting, also: I recently ran across a list in Stoldt's introduction
        that's nearly identical to the lists I posted here some time ago (in
        English) of what I referred to as "Mark's creativity". (I acquired a copy
        of Stoldt's book only a week ago, during the process of building up my
        synoptics library.)

        I have under construction a table of Markan (Greek) words or phrases that
        appear to have been borrowed from Luke's writings and used by Mark in
        non-parallel pericopes (some, of course, would argue for the opposite
        directionality). Mark Goodacre has seen an early version of this table, but
        I've expanded it to five pages since that time, and continue to add examples
        as I find them. I started with some examples cited by Robert L. Lindsey in
        his "Hebrew Translation of Mark", and added others as I found them. So far,
        there are eighty or more examples. Considering Mark's other expressions that
        appear to have been adapted from James' and Paul's writings, Mark begins to
        look like quite a wordsmith.

        I understand that the "Synoptic Gospels" journal will be publishing these
        tables along with an article discussing their significance by one of the
        JSSR scholars. I don't know when we'll see this article, but the inaugural
        issue of the journal is planned for this coming September.

        Best Wishes,

        Dennis Sullivan Dayton Ohio (Friend of the Jerusalem School)
        www.jerusalemperspective.com

        Message 3 of 3 , May 14, 1999
          Jonathan Ryder wrote -

          >Have you come across 'A Comparative Greek Concordance of the Synoptic
          >Gospels/ collator and compiler Elmar Camillo dos Santos (and James
          >Leonard Burnham); editor Robert Lisle Lindsey (Jerusalem: Dugith,
          >[1985?]-1989) in 3 vol'?

          Jonathan,
          Thanks for the thought. In fact I have my own copy of this and
          recommended it to others on Synoptic-L some months ago. The concordance
          runs to a thousand pages. I had tried using it to compile a list of
          words beginning with Alpha which are in Mark and not found elsewhere in
          the synoptics. This took hours, and was problematic because it was so
          easy to miss entries for Mark only. I would like an accurate list,
          without having to spend too much time sifting through printed columns
          and double-checking observations. Hence my request to Synoptic-L in case
          one has already been published.

          I have just received an off-List message from a software engineer in
          Cambridge, UK, who follows the correspondence on Synoptic-L with an
          eagle eye, and knows a lot about the synoptic problem (though he does
          not read Greek!). It seems he might be able to write a program to
          process files of the synoptic gospels in Greek and produce the required
          output. Apparently the software engineering terminology for this is a
          "cross reference".