Re: Hawkins's observation and the Farrer Hypothesis

    Message 1 of 3 , May 7, 1999
      >Hawkins's observation is that the words and phrases characteristic of
      >each synoptic gospel (when compared with the other synoptic gospels) are
      >scattered more thickly over the parts peculiar to the gospel than over
      >the parts in common with one or both of the other gospels. (J. C.
      >Hawkins, "Horae Synopticae", Oxford, 2nd edn 1909, page 26 ). Is this
      >observation consistent with the Farrer Hypothesis?
      [...]
      >It follows that Hawkins's observation is a difficulty for the Farrer
      >Hypothesis. On the Farrer Hypothesis we should expect that the words and
      >phrases characteristic of Mark would occur no more thickly (on average)
      >in the peculiar parts than in the common parts of Mark.

      The problem with using Hawkins's observation is that the pattern of
      occurrences of characteristic phrases in peculiar part as applied
      to Mark is not statistically significant (although both Matthew and
      Luke are).

      On pages 14-15, Hawkins noted that about 1/13th of Mark is peculiar
      but nearly 1/10th of the 357 characteristic phrases are found in those
      sections. However, this difference is insignificant at the 95% level.

      Therefore, Hawkins's observation presents no difficulty for the Farrer
      Hypothesis.