Colour-coded Luke

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 1999
      A new link may be of interest to the group:

      http://www.uncc.edu/jdtabor/luke.html
      Colour-coded Luke by James Tabor.

      It is a useful page, clearly intended to help the newcomer, but I think
      it should be treated with care. Some comments:

      (1) Q is not clearly defined at the top of the page and there is therefore a
      little variation in the colour coding of the kind that might confuse students:

      (a) The Lost Coin (15.8-10), for example, should clearly be orange (L) on a
      strict definition of Q since it has no parallel in Matthew. I realise that some
      are inclined to include the Lost Coin in L, but this is a minority position even
      among Q scholars (e.g. note its absence in the IQP Critical Text). Other
      Sondergut (e.g. Rich Fool) does not make it into Q on this page.

      (b) Luke 7.1, on the other hand, currently coloured orange, should be blue. It
      has clearly non-Markan parallels in Matthew and is included in the Critical Text
      of Q by the IQP.

      (c) Luke 15.18 should be either red or blue but not orange: this verse has
      clear parallels in both Matthew (5 and 19) and Mark (10).

      (d) I wonder if the policy on Mark-Q overlap passages is consistent. Sometimes
      they are coloured red (e.g. Mustard Seed, which has more in common in Luke with
      Matthew than with Mark, including the matter of order). Similarly the Baptism
      of Jesus is coloured red when it might be blue -- again the IQP Critical Text
      include this in Q. On the other hand, Mark-Q overlap passages sometimes appear
      as blue, e.g. Luke 3.16.

      (e) Similarly, I wonder whether the policy on the Minor Agreements is
      consistent. While Luke 20.18 (a famous MA, though textually uncertain in
      Matt.) is coloured blue, Luke 22.62 (verbatim parallel to Matt. 26.75, not in
      Mark) is coloured red. Similarly "Who is it who struck you?"is coloured red
      at Luke 22.64 when it perhaps ought to be blue.

      The coding makes more sense, though, when viewed alongside another of Prof.
      Tabor's pages, http://www.uncc.edu/jdtabor/qluke.html, "the Q Source in Luke".
      Note that currently the link address for this is given incorrectly on Prof.
      Tabor's main page. I don't think that that page adds anything to Steve
      Davies's similar page at http://www.miseri.edu/davies/thomas/q.htm, and the
      latter loads far more quickly.

      Mark
      Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
      University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 6866
      Birmingham B15 2TT United Kingdom

      http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
      Aseneth Home Page
      Recommended New Testament Web Resources