Re: Cleansing Temple

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 30 3:54 AM
      On 29 Apr 99 at 21:44, RHutchin@... wrote:

      > Regardless of speculation about Matthew's competence, my first desire is to
      > determine what the Greek text actually says. When I read the text, it seems
      > pretty clear that it says that Jesus cleansed the temple one day (according to
      > Matthew) and did it again the very next day (according to Mark). I would like
      > to nail down what the text says, before I move on to the various speculations
      > concerning the likelihood that Matthew was confused or Mark was illiterate.
      >
      > So, am I misreading the text as taken straight from my N/A Novum Testamentum
      > Graece?

      Please note that Synoptic-L is a forum for the critical study of the Synoptic
      Gospels. As such, you will find that subscribers and contributors will take
      for granted the standard critical approach to the Gospels which does not, on
      the whole, countenance the kind of harmonising reading favoured above. In
      other words, critical scholarship does not assume that Matthew and Mark
      here constitute "the text" from which a single view of events can be
      extrapolated.

      Please direct any further correspondence on this to the list co-ordinators.

      Mark Goodacre
      Dr Mark Goodacre M.S.Goodacre@...