Re: Mt 16:28

  • Jim Deardorff
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 23, 1999
      At 04:17 PM 4/21/99 +1000, Rick Strelan wrote:
      >With Mark's recent mail in mind: anyone care to comment on Matt 16:28 and
      >the notion of the Son of Man coming in his kingdom? It's the precise matter
      >of 'his kingdom' that interest me. The Mk/Lk parallels have the more
      >conventional 'kingdom of God'. Is the terminology of 'kingdom' + SM used
      >elsewhere?

      Rick,

      Please excuse the late reply. My take on this is that AMt redacted his
      source utilizing "Son of man" as synonomous with Messiah and hence tacitly
      with Jesus. He was still hoping that the Second Coming would be in the very
      near future (e.g., Mt 10:23b, Mt 24:34), and that the Son of man would yet
      be coming in his kingdom soon.

      AMk (in Mk 9:1), even if utilizing Matthew, knew better than this, since
      Jesus hadn't come again by his time, many decades after Jesus' ministry, and
      so certainly couldn't have come again during the lifetimes of those who had
      listened to Jesus. So his improvement was to change this second coming to a
      coming of the kingdom of God, with power. (AMk's emphasis upon power or
      authority can be seen also in Mk 1:13b, 1:27b, 1:34b, 2:28 (the extra KAI),
      3:5a, 7:24c, 9:39, 11:16, 12:30d, 12:33, 13:26 (much power), and omission of
      Matthean verses admonishing humility, meekness, and not using the sword.)

      ALk (Lk 9:27), preferring Mark over Matthew as usual, chose to stay closer
      to Mark's version, except for dropping the "coming with power." Quite likely
      he realized nothing had occurred in the previous several decades that would
      equate to a coming of the kingdom of God with power. If so, his further
      improvement was to alter it to just "see the kingdom of God," which could be
      interpreted to mean they were seeing the kingdom of God when appreciating
      Jesus' presence among them.

      Jim Deardorff
      Corvallis, Oregon
      E-mail: deardorj@...