zoë & bios in the synoptics

  • David C. Hindley
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 21, 1999
      Message text written by "Chris Cutler"

      >Is "life" in Matt 19:16 (what good thing shall I do...) rendered ZOE or
      BIOS in the Greek, and can anyone help me understand the difference between
      the two?<

      Chris,

      I think you need to get a GNT (there are interlinear versions if you need
      them) and a BAGD lexicon. These are practically required tools.

      The root word used is ZOH (or zoE, take your pick), meaning basically life,
      subsistence, livlihood. BIOS refers to life in its appearances and
      manifestations (like life span, life style, etc).

      Dave H