Re: Mth 16:28

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 21, 1999
      On 21 Apr 99 at 16:17, Rick Strelan wrote:

      > With Mark's recent mail in mind: anyone care to comment on Matt 16:28 and the
      > notion of the Son of Man coming in his kingdom? It's the precise matter of
      > 'his kingdom' that interest me. The Mk/Lk parallels have the more conventional
      > 'kingdom of God'. Is the terminology of 'kingdom' + SM used elsewhere?

      It comes also in Matt. 13.41, "The Son of Man will send his angels, and they
      will gather out of his kingdom (EK THS BASILEIAS AUTOU) all causes of sin and
      all evildoers . . ." We also have "your kingdom" without explicit reference to
      Son of Man in Matt. 20.21 (EN THi BASILEIAi SOU; again diff. Mark, EN THi DOXHi
      MOU). I think that these are the only occurrences of kingdom + genitive
      referring to Jesus/SM in Matthew. There are no occurrences in Mark.

      Also striking in Matt. 16.28 is the terminology ERCOMENON. It is a key part of
      Matthew's Christology that Jesus is hO ERCOMENOS (Matt. 3.11, 11.3, 21.9,
      23.39) and one cannot help hearing an echo here of Dan. 7.13 LXX hUIOS ANQRWPOU
      ERCOMENOS. Perhaps Matthew has rewritten Mark here in the light of the
      Danielic imagery -- cf. the redaction of the Mustard Seed in 13.31-32.

      While the idea of kingdom + SM does not seem to be common elsewhere, I find
      myself reminded of 1 Cor. 15.23-25, where we have mention of Jesus' PAROUSIA
      and of his handing the kingdom to the Father. There is a parallel here with
      Matt. 13.41-43, mentioned above, in which there is a similar movement from
      "his kingdom" to the "the kingdom of their father.

      Mark
      Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
      University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 6866
      Birmingham B15 2TT United Kingdom

      http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
      Aseneth Home Page
      Recommended New Testament Web Resources