Re: alternative views of Gospel origins

  • Yuri Kuchinsky
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 31, 1999
      On Fri, 26 Mar 1999 Maluflen@... wrote:

      > In a message dated 3/25/1999 9:55:29 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      > yuku@... writes:
      >
      > <<
      > Have you read Koester, Leonard? It doesn't seem so, since his analysis of
      > pMk is anything but "gratuitous".
      > >>

      > No, Yuri, I must confess I have read very little of Koester. I have
      > run into the man casually at Harvard a couple of times, and he seems
      > like a really nice gentleman. I assume you mean something other than
      > his 2 volume NT Introduction, or does that include good sections on
      > his Synoptic theory as well? In any case, please tell me again the
      > work of his I should start with, and I will forthwith place it on my
      > urgent "to do" list.

      Dear Leonard,

      Sorry for late reply. I've been busy with other things of late.

      A good volume to look up is ANCIENT CHRISTIAN GOSPELS by Koester. He deals
      with pMk in some detail there, and provides many refs. But he's very
      technical in this book, never taking it beyond text-criticism. What he
      fails to provide is a historical background for these textual
      developments. For this, I would recommend Alfred Loisy's books, especially
      his

      Loisy, Alfred Firmin, 1857-1940. The birth of the Christian religion =
      (La naissance du Christianisme). London: G. Allen & Unwin. 1948.

      Loisy, Alfred Firmin, 1857-1940. The Origins of the New Testament.
      London: G. Allen and Unwin. 1950.

      Basically, Koester is saying the same things as Loisy said, although I've
      never seen a reference to Loisy in Koester. (Which I find a little
      strange.)

      From what I know, Loisy was never too popular among German scholars. I
      guess their Protentantism may have come in the way of their appreciating
      his points of view, among other things. Loisy was quite critical of
      Protestant scholars' views (not less than he was critical of Catholics.)
      So Koester may have acquired these views via Bultmann (who was very
      appreciative of Loisy).

      > My own impression of Mark's Gospel, though, is that it is quite
      > homogeneous, and from this fact I have drawn the (hasty?) conclusion
      > that if there are sections in Mk that are clearly late, then the
      > Gospel is clearly late.

      I see what you mean...

      > I wonder if a pMk would ever have been hypothesized if Matt and Lk
      > never existed?

      Difficult to say.

      > Perhaps I will learn wise answers to these questions by working
      > through your reading list. I do, by the way, have a copy of the book
      > you always quote from by A. Loisy. I found it some years ago in a
      > second-hand bookstore. It is certainly interesting, but I haven't got
      > through the whole thing yet either. It contains quite a bit of detail,
      > no?

      Are you referring to one of the above?

      Regards,

      Yuri.