SYN - testing style

  • D Mealand
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 13, 1998
      I would be grateful for some suggestions of recent (1992+) reading relevant to the
      methods I am currently using to evaluate source theories in relation to
      Matthew.

      I am using stylometric tests to see if there are differences between blocks
      of material believed to be from Mark, Q or M in Matthew. In order to do this
      I need to allow for stylistic effects due to genre (see my recent article on
      Style and Genre in Mark in LLC 1997).

      I therefore have to work with very small samples of under 300 words. (But for
      the effectiveness of this see Forsyth and Holmes in LLC 1996).

      I divided the text of Matthew first into blocks believed to come from the 3
      sources mentioned. I then further divided each of these blocks by genre.
      The doubly classified material was then partitioned into 250 word samples.
      There are 61 of these.

      The criteria I am using on the 61 samples include numbers of nouns, verbs,
      adjectives etc.; high frequency words such as kai, de, gar, eis, en; words
      beginning with aut- or hum-, and words ending in iota, sigma or nu.

      As I say any reading of books or articles from 1992 onwards that I may have
      missed would be very welcome, the more so if it bears on the method I am
      using.

      David Mealand

      .
      Mail from .com etc. may receive temporary diversion here
      *****************************1/1998****************************************
      David L. Mealand * E-mail: D.Mealand@...
      University of Edinburgh * Office tel.:(+44)-131-650-8917 or 8921
      Scotland, U.K. EH1 2LX * Office fax.:(+44)-131-650-6579
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 13, 1998
        David Mealand wrote:

        > I would be grateful for some suggestions of recent (1992+) reading
        > relevant to the methods I am currently using to evaluate source
        > theories in relation to Matthew.
        >
        > I am using stylometric tests to see if there are differences between
        > blocks of material believed to be from Mark, Q or M in Matthew. In
        > order to do this I need to allow for stylistic effects due to genre
        > (see my recent article on Style and Genre in Mark in LLC 1997).
        >
        > I therefore have to work with very small samples of under 300 words.
        > (But for the effectiveness of this see Forsyth and Holmes in LLC
        > 1996).
        >
        > I divided the text of Matthew first into blocks believed to come
        > from the 3 sources mentioned. I then further divided each of these
        > blocks by genre. The doubly classified material was then partitioned
        > into 250 word samples. There are 61 of these.
        >
        > The criteria I am using on the 61 samples include numbers of nouns,
        > verbs, adjectives etc.; high frequency words such as kai, de, gar,
        > eis, en; words beginning with aut- or hum-, and words ending in
        > iota, sigma or nu.
        >
        > As I say any reading of books or articles from 1992 onwards that I
        > may have missed would be very welcome, the more so if it bears on
        > the method I am using.

        I am most interested to hear of this work. When I was researching
        Goulder's theories, I often wondered about trying some sort of
        stylometric study to see if it backed up his ideas. In the end I
        went for a simpler approach and looked for things like characteristic
        vocabulary, using Hawkins's and Goulder's criteria for
        'characteristic' and 'semi-characteristic' words and phrases. The
        results of the relevant parts of this study can be read in *Goulder
        and the Gospels* (JSNTSup, 133; Sheffield: Sheffield Academic Press,
        1996), Chapters 2 and 3.

        Hawkins's criteria for characteristic vocabulary were actually
        somewhat crude -- they were purely numerical. But because of
        Goulder's reliance on them they provided a good way of testing his
        thesis against itself.

        Goulder did use other methods, though, like the analysis of Matthew's
        poetry and imagery, material that has never been taken very
        seriously, except perhaps by Sanders. Kenneth Newport, one of
        Sanders's students in Oxford, offers some criticism of Goulder's
        methods in *The Sources and Sitz-im-Leben of Matthew 23* (JSNTSup,
        117; Sheffield: Sheffield Academic Press, 1995).

        What is 'LLC'? I can't think of what it could be at the moment. I
        would be interested to read the articles you mention. It would be
        most interesting to hear more of your research on this too.

        The only book I have read on stylometry is Antony Kenny's which had
        the somewhat disturbing conclusion (if I remember correctly) that
        Paul wrote all the letters attributed to him with the exception
        only of Titus. Is there any danger that your own work might lead to
        a conclusion that many will exclude on non-stylometry grounds?

        With good wishes

        Mark
        --------------------------------------
        Dr Mark Goodacre M.S.Goodacre@...
        Homepage: http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre.htm
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 13, 1998
          David Mealand wrote -
          >I would be grateful for some suggestions of recent (1992+) reading
          >relevant to the methods I am currently using to evaluate source
          >theories in relation to Matthew. I am using stylometric tests to see if
          >there are differences between blocks of material believed to be from
          >Mark, Q or M in Matthew.

          I am glad that someone is using non-parametric statistics to try and
          check out hypotheses like the Four Document Hyothesis of B. H. Streeter.
          My guess is that no significant stylometric differences will be found
          between passages in Matthew assigned on the Four Document Hypothesis to
          'Q', Mark or 'M'.

        • James R. Adair
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 13, 1998
            On Fri, 13 Feb 1998, Mark Goodacre wrote:

            > What is 'LLC'? I can't think of what it could be at the moment.

            LLC is Literary & Linguistic Computing, not a journal very many NT
            scholars read, but a standard among computing humanists.

            Jimmy Adair
            and
            -------------> http://shemesh.scholar.emory.edu <--------------