Re: Method

  • Jim Deardorff
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 12 5:44 PM
      >Brian Wilson wrote:
      >> I wonder whether there is a definition of the synoptic problem which
      >> includes a method of solving it?

      >Nan Doerr replied -
      >>Brian, it appears to me that if such a definition (including a method
      >>for solution) existed, then the problem would already be solved and
      >>there would be no reason for this forum.

      >My definition is - "The synoptic problem is to put forward a >hypothesis
      >of the links between the synoptic gospels which is compatible >with the
      >patterns of similarities and differences of wording and order >observed
      >in the synoptic gospels."

      Hello Brian,

      I just joined the list, so maybe someone else already stated my views. But
      I'd opt for a broader method of attack myself. Actually the synoptic problem
      is that of figuring out which Gospel came first, second and third, who wrote
      them and when & where, and which verses are original or genuine and which
      are redactions. And it's the method of solution that I'd broaden over yours,
      to include the external evidence and motivations for redaction.

      And in your reference to "wording," I'd like to ensure that that refers to
      similarities and differences in textual meaning as well as in Greek verbal
      agreement.

      If this is broadened a bit further still, I suppose it becomes about the
      same as the usual methods of attack.

      Still seeking historical truth,

      Jim Deardorff