Re: Synoptic-L Test

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 10 5:47 AM
      Stephen C. Carlson wrote:

      > This is a test message to determine whether and how Synoptic-L is up and
      > running.
      >
      > Based on a discussion in a related mailing list (Crosstalk), it appears
      > that any list devoted to the synoptic problem should have a ready definition
      > of the synoptic problem. Any takers?
      >
      > Here is a first attempt:
      >
      > The synoptic problem is an inquiry into the existence and nature of the
      > literary relationship between the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, and Luke.

      Sure puts it in a nutshell for me...except I would say ".....
      the direct (dependence on each other) and indirect (dependence on
      similar
      sources) relationship between....."

      Jack
      --
      D’man dith laych idneh d’nishMA nishMA
      Jack Kilmon (jpman@...)

      http://scriptorium.accesscomm.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 10 7:25 AM
        This is a test message to determine whether and how Synoptic-L is up and
        running.

        Based on a discussion in a related mailing list (Crosstalk), it appears
        that any list devoted to the synoptic problem should have a ready definition
        of the synoptic problem. Any takers?

        Here is a first attempt:

        The synoptic problem is an inquiry into the existence and nature of the
        literary relationship between the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, and Luke.

        Stephen C. Carlson : Poetry speaks of aspirations,
        scarlson@... : and songs chant the words.
        http://www.mindspring.com/~scarlson/ : -- Shujing 2.35
      • Edgar Krentz
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 10 8:04 AM
          >This is a test message to determine whether and how Synoptic-L is up and
          >running.
          >
          >Based on a discussion in a related mailing list (Crosstalk), it appears
          >that any list devoted to the synoptic problem should have a ready definition
          >of the synoptic problem. Any takers?
          >
          >Here is a first attempt:
          >
          >The synoptic problem is an inquiry into the existence and nature of the
          >literary relationship between the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, and Luke.
          >
          >Stephen Carlson

          Good succinct definition. I would add "and the investigation of
          reonstructed non-surviving sources."

          * Edgar Krentz, Prof. of New Testament *
          * Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago *
          * 1100 EAST 55TH STREET *
          * CHICAGO, IL 60615 *
          * Tel: [773] 256-0752; (H) [773] 947-8105 *
          * *
          * Reply to: ekrentz@... (office) *
          * or emkrentz@... (home) *
        • Carl William Conrad
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 10 9:10 AM
            On Tue, 10 Feb 1998, Edgar Krentz wrote:

            > >This is a test message to determine whether and how Synoptic-L is up and
            > >running.
            > >
            > >Based on a discussion in a related mailing list (Crosstalk), it appears
            > >that any list devoted to the synoptic problem should have a ready definition
            > >of the synoptic problem. Any takers?
            > >
            > >Here is a first attempt:
            > >
            > >The synoptic problem is an inquiry into the existence and nature of the
            > >literary relationship between the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, and Luke.
            > >
            > >Stephen Carlson
            >
            > Good succinct definition. I would add "and the investigation of
            > reonstructed non-surviving sources."

            But presumably we are talking about WRITTEN sources here, however
            hypothetical, and not just about oral tradition, I presume.

            Carl W. Conrad
            (314) 935-4018
            cwconrad@... OR cwc@...
          • Mahlon H. Smith
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 10 11:51 PM
              Carl William Conrad wrote:

              > On Tue, 10 Feb 1998, Edgar Krentz wrote:
              >
              > > >This is a test message to determine whether and how Synoptic-L is up and
              > > >running.
              > > >
              > > >Based on a discussion in a related mailing list (Crosstalk), it appears
              > > >that any list devoted to the synoptic problem should have a ready definition
              > > >of the synoptic problem. Any takers?
              > > >
              > > >Here is a first attempt:
              > > >
              > > >The synoptic problem is an inquiry into the existence and nature of the
              > > >literary relationship between the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, and Luke.
              > > >
              > > >Stephen Carlson
              > >
              > > Good succinct definition. I would add "and the investigation of
              > > reonstructed non-surviving sources."
              >
              > But presumably we are talking about WRITTEN sources here, however
              > hypothetical, and not just about oral tradition, I presume.
              >
              > Carl W. Conrad

              I'll accept your qualification, Carl, as long as it is not designed to
              exclude consideration of the interrelationship of oral tradition &
              written documents in the formation of the synoptic gospels. I don't see
              how a purely literary definition of the synoptic problem can be defended
              at this stage in the history of gospel research. Let me see if I can
              integrate what we have so far into a succinct definition:

              "The synoptic problem is (1) an inquiry into the existence and nature of
              the literary relationship between the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, and
              Luke,(2)investigation of reconstructed non-surviving written sources,
              and (3)exploration of the influence of oral tradition upon the
              development of manuscripts of these gospels."

              Mahlon H. Smith
              Department of Religion
              Rutgers University
              New Brunswick, NJ 08901

              http://religion.rutgers.edu/mhsmith.html
            • Carl W. Conrad
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 11 3:22 AM
                At 1:51 AM -0600 2/11/98, Mahlon H. Smith wrote:
                >Carl William Conrad wrote:
                >> > reonstructed non-surviving sources."
                >>
                >> But presumably we are talking about WRITTEN sources here, however
                >> hypothetical, and not just about oral tradition, I presume.
                >>

                >I'll accept your qualification, Carl, as long as it is not designed to
                >exclude consideration of the interrelationship of oral tradition &
                >written documents in the formation of the synoptic gospels. I don't see
                >how a purely literary definition of the synoptic problem can be defended
                >at this stage in the history of gospel research. Let me see if I can
                >integrate what we have so far into a succinct definition:
                >
                >"The synoptic problem is (1) an inquiry into the existence and nature of
                >the literary relationship between the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, and
                >Luke,(2)investigation of reconstructed non-surviving written sources,
                >and (3)exploration of the influence of oral tradition upon the
                >development of manuscripts of these gospels."

                I just want to say that I certainly didn't mean to exclude questions of how
                oral traditions enter into the written versions; I simply meant to say that
                I think the study of oral tradition itself is more or less extraneous to
                discussion of Synoptic relationships as such, though not without relevance.

                And I think Mahlon's definition is an excellent one. I'll buy it.

                Carl W. Conrad
                cwconrad@... OR cconrad@...