the priority of Mark

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 3, 1999
      >Karel Hanhart wrote-
      >
      >The argument for Markan priority is the fact that "the way" is an
      >important theme. In this opening passage Mark emphasizes that Jesus in
      >his ministry was 'upright' in the eyes of God and walked straight in
      >God's ways - typically Biblical language. I do believe that Mark
      >overemphasized the point. Its overly frequent use makes the story sound
      >almost childish. Mt went along with Mark's point but used 'euthus' less
      >frequently.

      Karel,
      How do we know that Mark did not take virtually all his material
      from a documentary source also used by Matthew and Luke? The "fact" you
      describe, and the other data to which you refer, are all consistent with
      the Gospel of Mark being a cut down version of such a documentary
      source. "The way" could have been an important theme in the common
      source. The word "euthus", the historic present and the use of "palin"
      could have been characteristic of the common source, these idioms
      frequently being retained by Mark but usually edited out by Matthew or
      Luke. The description of Jesus in his ministry being "upright" could
      have been copied by Mark from the common source. And so on. And so on.

      All the data you describe is perfectly consistent with all three
      synoptists having copied from a common documentary source, and therefore
      consistent with the hypothesis of Markan priority being false.

      E-MAIL : brian@... homepage -
      SNAILMAIL ; Rev B. E. Wilson,