Re: [Paul Discussion List]

  • Elmer Smalling
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 1999
      Re: A name for the Pauline list.... how about StPaul?

      Regards,

      Elmer Smalling III

      ------------------------
      From: Stevan Davies <miser17@...>
      Subject: Re: [Paul Discussion List]
      Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 21:50:20 -0500
      To: jgibson000@..., Biblical Greek
      <b-greek@...>
      Cc: Crosstalk <crosstalk@...>,
      Synoptic-L <Synoptic-L@...>, ioudaios-l
      <ioudaios-l@...>

      > > Groups,
      > >
      > > Here's a message I just received from Matthew Collins
      at SBL. Sounds
      > > like we are good to go. Issues to be cleared up are
      (a) the name of the
      > > list; (b) its scope; (c) whether it should be
      moderated; and (d) if so,
      > > who the moderators would be. Have I overlooked
      anything?

      > > One suggestion for (a) that came in already from
      John Dickson (Ph.D.
      > > candidate, researching expectations of congregational
      participation in
      > > mission within Pauline Christianity at Macquarie
      University in Sydney,
      > > Australia) is "Paulos Apostolos". Any others?
      > >
      > > Yours,
      > >
      > > Jeffrey Gibson
      >
      > a) I don't think we need to be so highfalutin. How about "Paul."
      >
      > b) Scope should include the deutero-Pauline letters in my opinion.
      > Perhaps even to Hebrews and 3 Corinthians. After all, even if
      > the authorship of Paul is not in question in the minds of most,
      > the influence of Paul on those texts and their evidence of Paul's
      > influence are important matters.
      >
      > c) Moderated? Yes, by all means.
      >
      > Stevan Davies

      -------------------------------------
      Elmer E. Smalling III
      Director of Engineering
      Jenel Systems and Design International, Inc.
      6700 Spokane
      Plano, Texas 75023-1426
      USA
      Phone/Fax 972-491-1442