RE: Son of Man and Synoptic hypotheses

  • Yuri Kuchinsky
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 22, 1999
      On Sun, 21 Feb 1999, Jacob Knee wrote:

      > I am curious about your claim that NMM can be assumed to have been a
      > written source. Why not oral tradition or some combination of oral
      > tradition plus written or why not simply literary creativity by
      > Matthew?
      >
      > I'm sure I haven't understood you properly but I'd be interested to
      > see you explain more about your reasoning.

      Jacob,

      The question of whether or not NMM would have been written down, or
      transmitted orally, is not really of primary concern here. In these
      traditional cultures oral transmission is usually surprisingly accurate,
      so even if NMM was not written down this doesn't make it any less a
      "document".

      But my main point remains that Goulder et al's "all out war against Q"
      seems rather misguided, since for most purposes the effect of "dispensing
      with Q" will merely be a replacement of Q with NMM, which will basically
      amount to the same thing.

      Best regards,

      Yuri.

      Yuri Kuchinsky || Toronto