eschatology of John

  • David Hall
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 1999
      Baptist: John was preaching about the axe being placed upon the root and
      every tree that does not bear good fruit would be cut down. This cutting
      down to the roots prevents the tree from sprouting from the roots and is an
      issue of judgement. John also preached the wheat will be gathered into the
      barn, yet the chaff will be burned with unquenchable fire. The chaff was
      used to cook the bread, if it was not fed to the livestock. A sense of
      values was apparent in John's teaching. The wheat was more valuable than
      the chaff and so it will be, God will keep the more valuable. These two
      statements were from Matthew. Luke agreed with Matthew and added to Matthew
      by stating the principle, "every valley will be filled and every hill will
      be lowered.."
      John seemed to be wise in his day, the hills indeed were eroded and the
      valleys filled with silt from the hills. John was unable to see large parts
      of the earth's crust being tilted upward. Thus John was unable to teach
      about mountains being lifted above the plain(Himalayas).
      We have read that Herod liked to listen to John. We think John would
      have tried to appease Herod to a certain extent, while rebuking him other
      times. It seems John's eventual faith won as Herod was urged to execute him
      as he did not affirm the values of the royal family but sought Godly values
      instead. John had earlier preached that a man should not own to coats but
      should give to one who has no coat that extra coat. John also taught it was
      wrong for Herod to have his brother's(Phillip) wife.
      Jesus as taught be Luke later affirmed John's teaching in the sermon on
      the plain. When he encouraged his audience to lend without expecting
      anything in return. Jesus taught it better to give more in a lawsuit than
      was asked for. This giving instead of taking makes for a more prosperous
      society.
      While John asked soldiers not to do violence. Jesus taught that if I
      am hit on the side of my face, I should not hit back. Perhaps Jesus meant
      to end war, as there will be no war in heaven.

      From: David Hall

      DH

      quoted as saying something such as "every valley will be filled and ever