Re: codices from the beginning

    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 1, 1999
      Jack Kilmon wrote -

      >An early codex, or caudex, was essentially two wax tablets bound
      >together like a book, or two ivory or wooden slates with wax. I
      >am interested in the what ms fragment is the earliest extant
      >exemplar of a vellum codex and the earliest exemplar of a papyrus
      >codex (which apparently came later)...not necessarily biblical in nature.

      Jack,
      It is vitally important to distinguish codices used for notes,
      accounts, documentary records and the like, from codices used for books.
      The interesting question is not how or when the codex format was first
      used. We know that it was used several centuries BCE. For instance we
      have surviving wooden codices with wages accounts from mid third century
      BCE of expenses incurred on a journey in Lower Egypt. The tablets, still
      with writing on the wax, are held in the Petrie Museum, University
      College, London, UK.

      Some wooden codices had as many as ten wooden tablets bound together.

      The earliest extant vellum codex is P. Oxy. 30 and is of a book which is
      usually given the title "de Bellis Macedonicis". It was written about
      100 CE. It is in Latin, and thought to have been written in Rome.

      The earliest extant fragment of a papyrus codex book is P52, the Rylands
      Papyrus of part of the Gospel of John. This was written between 100 and
      125 CE, according to current opinions amongst papyrologists (they used
      to say it was written about 125 CE, so they have adjusted their mean
      estimate by about 12 years in recent research on this.)

      The material of which a codex book was made may not be terribly relevant
      to when and where the codex book originated, however. The most
      significant piece of information is that virtually all Christian books
      in Greek were written on codices, whereas virtually all non-Christian
      books were written on rolls, for the first two and a half centuries CE.
      Something very major must have happened early in the origins of
      Christianity to bring about such widespread use of the codex for early
      Christian books written in Greek.

      E-MAIL : brian@... *** HOMEPAGE RECENTLY UPDATED ***
      SNAILMAIL ; Rev B. E. Wilson, http://www.twonh.demon.co.uk
      10 York Close, Godmanchester,
      Huntingdon, Cambs, PE18 8EB, UK *** SEE HOMEPAGE FOR FIRST DRAFT OF PAPER ***
    • Jack Kilmon
      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 1, 1999
        In my understanding, after the wax tablets, the term was applied to books of
        this format made of papyrus, vellum, or
        parchment. Although papyrus usually appeared in the form of a scroll, and
        parchment and vellum in the form of the codex, there was a brief intermediate
        stage, the papyrus codex. This came at a time when parchment was not yet fully
        accepted, partly because it was thought to be a somewhat vulgar material, and
        partly because, when the codex was new, it was not realized that papyrus was not
        really suitable to that format.

        Jack

        Jeremy Duff wrote:

        > Papyrus codices came first, on the whole, not vellum.
        >
        > I wouldn't be surprised if some of the earliest extant codices are the
        > biblical ones from the second century (papyrus), though I may well be wrong.
        > If you want to know try Turner, The Typology of the Early Codex (1977).
        >
        > Jeremy
        >
        > At 13:27 01/02/99 -0800, you wrote:
        > >An early codex, or caudex, was essentially two wax tablets bound
        > >together like a book, or two ivory or wooden slates with wax. I
        > >am interested in the what ms fragment is the earliest extant
        > >exemplar of a vellum codex and the earliest exemplar of a papyrus
        > >codex (which apparently came later)...not necessarily biblical in nature.
        > >
        > >Jack
        > >
        > >Jeremy Duff wrote:

        > Julius

        > >> First reference to literature in codices is Martial Epigrams 14.184-192
        > >> (mid-late first century AD). Beforehand (Caesar etc.) they were used for
        > >> jottings.
        > >>
        > >> Jeremy
        > >>
        > >> =========================================
        > >> Jeremy Duff
        > >> Junior Research Fellow, St Cross College, Oxford
        > >> Tutor, Wycliffe Hall, Oxford.
        > >>
        > >> EMail: Jeremy.Duff@...
        > >> Phone: 01865-274218

      • Graham Hamer
        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 8, 1999
          Mark Goodacre wrote:
          > I wonder if Brian was referring specifically to the idea of the last page
          in a
          > codex being lost? Certainly the idea of a lost ending is old. Streeter,
          for
          > example, thinks that the earliest copy was accidentally mutilated or
          lost, but
          > he seems to be imagining a scroll, _Four Gospels_, p. 338: "the two ends
          of a
          > roll would always be the most exposed to damage; the beginning ran the
          greater
          > risk, but, in a book rolled from both ends, the conclusion was not safe".
          Does
          > anyone know how much earlier than Streeter the idea goes? Surely it must
          be
          > much older than him? And is Roberts the first to propose that it was the
          last
          > leaf of a codex that got lost? It would be interesting to know the
          answers to
          > these questions -- can anyone oblige?

          C S C Williams wrote "If the Christians already used the codex or book
          form for their gospels during the first century, as Mr C H Roberts believes
          (JTS, XL, 1939, 253ff) then the last page could easily have been torn
          away." (Alterations to the Text of the Synoptic Gospels and Acts, Oxford,
          1951, page 44). This looks like Williams (either consciously or
          unconsciously) may have been the source of Roberts' suggestion in his book
          on the codex.

          Graham