damaged papyrus codices

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 28, 1999
      Brian Wilson wrote -
      >I would go along with the hypothesis that all of the synoptic gospels
      >were originally written on codices, and that the last page of Mark may
      >have fallen off. (The end of a roll would not be likely to be damaged
      >in the same way, because the end of a roll would be protected by the
      >rest coiled around it.) All extant papyrus manuscripts of the synoptic
      >gospels were written on codices.

      Jim West comments -

      >Such "oops I lost a page" theories are the scholarly equivalent of the dry
      >heaves, aren't they?

      Brian Wilson replies -

      Not really, Jim. We are talking about papyri. Do you know of any
      papyrus codex of any canonical gospel in Greek that still has the last
      page of the codex? Scholars of text criticism around the world would be
      thrilled to hear the details from you if you know of such a manuscript!

      "Oops I lost a page" is based on very scholarly observation of the
      facts, I would suggest.

      Incidentally, the hypothesis was put forward by C. H. Roberts who was a
      fellow of the British Academy and a world-famous scholar of the origin
      of the codex book. (C. H. Roberts, 'Proceedings of the British Academy
      40' - 1954 - pages 168-204, page 190.)

      E-MAIL : brian@... *** HOMEPAGE RECENTLY UPDATED ***
      SNAILMAIL ; Rev B. E. Wilson, http://www.twonh.demon.co.uk
      10 York Close, Godmanchester,