The two genealogies and Bathsheba

  • Jim Deardorff
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 26, 1999
      It seems to me that there is some directionality between Luke and Matthew at
      the point where their two genealogies diverge. Doesn't it seem likely that
      ALk altered Matthew's genealogy from Solomon on, replacing him with Nathan,
      both sons of David, because Solomon was born of Bathsheba, for whom David
      had Uriah killed, etc.? So Nathan, being a prophet who pointed out David's
      sin to him, was more suitable than his step-brother, Solomon, to be in
      Jesus' lineage (despite Solomon's wisdom).

      Has this argument been reversed reasonably?

      Jim Deardorff
      Corvallis, Oregon
      E-mail: deardorj@...