Fwd: "auditory piracy" vs. "adjustments"

  • Kumo997029@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 18, 1999
      In a message dated 99-01-16 23:09:47 EST, Robert.Schacht@... writes:

      << Subj: "auditory piracy" vs. "adjustments"
      Date: 99-01-16 23:09:47 EST
      From: Robert.Schacht@... (Bob Schacht)
      To: Kumo997029@..., Synoptic-L@...

      At 08:27 PM 1/16/99 -0500, Kumo997029@... wrote:
      >{... The real distinction between Hamlet and Mk as targets for AP is
      >that Hamlet is presented on one long chunk, Mk in course reading. The
      first
      >act of Q1 is quite accurate; by Act V a whole scene has dropped out.
      Whether
      >the units of Mk were long enough so Q1 would show degeneration with the
      >pericopes I haven't thought about. Thesis topic.}

      {{Total garble. Try: "... were long enough to show degeneration within the
      pericopes..." Sorry.}}

      This is also an excellent observation. I wonder if Hamlet was ever
      performed one Act at a time, with a week between Acts? Or maybe even one
      week at a time?

      {{Elizabethan plays were staged not in runs, as Broadway, but in repertoire,
      a different show every night. Still, our pirate could have made several
      performances in a season. I've wondered why he apparently didn't.

      {{The retention falloff is steep. Many years ago I heard Bruno Walter's
      Magic Flute at Carnegie five or six times one week (a friend had a secret
      entry to the Family Circle). I could probably still whistle the first act but
      the last is still news to me.}}

      On the other hand, might not there be certain occasions
      (Easter?) when the whole of a short gospel such as Mark would be read from
      start to finish? In fact, I rather like this thought. It would make a good
      deal of sense if Mark was written to be read at an Easter vigil,
      culminating on Easter morning. This could explain the short ending of Mark.

      {{No, Mk seems to have been presented in a course reading following Epiphany
      (v. Talley, _Origins of the Liturgical Year_). There's more to this.}}

      >...{A friend of mine agrees:
      >
      >Tim my dear,
      > I sit on the sidelines and quite enjoy the hum and buzz. I don't like,
      >however, your definition of auditory piracy: too loose by far, as piracy
      >includes intent, the lifting of text without permission or approval. Any
      >writer or journalist such as myself knows that in certain cases,
      >"adjustments" must be made to what is said (e.g., explanations of
      >obscure terms or what the reader will not understand, corrections of
      >imprecisions or ungrammaticisms by the speaker, amplifications by
      >summing up long conversations by the "sense" of what was said, and
      >outright inventions which are a better way of putting what the speaker
      >said and which you are pretty sure he would approve of.)

      Well said! The devil is in the "adjustments", and this summary of the need
      for "adjustments" is good. As Marcus Borg would say, each generation has to
      re-tell the gospel again [because of the need for such adjustments].

      > Schacht is right about the protectiveness of an artist relative to the
      >zeal of the messianic.
      >
      >KB}

      Thank you. This has been a very interesting thread.

      Bob
      Robert Schacht
      Northern Arizona University
      Robert.Schacht@...