"auditory piracy" vs. "adjustments"

  • Bob Schacht
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 16, 1999
      At 08:27 PM 1/16/99 -0500, Kumo997029@... wrote:
      >{... The real distinction between Hamlet and Mk as targets for AP is
      >that Hamlet is presented on one long chunk, Mk in course reading. The first
      >act of Q1 is quite accurate; by Act V a whole scene has dropped out. Whether
      >the units of Mk were long enough so Q1 would show degeneration with the
      >pericopes I haven't thought about. Thesis topic.}

      This is also an excellent observation. I wonder if Hamlet was ever
      performed one Act at a time, with a week between Acts? Or maybe even one
      week at a time? On the other hand, might not there be certain occasions
      (Easter?) when the whole of a short gospel such as Mark would be read from
      start to finish? In fact, I rather like this thought. It would make a good
      deal of sense if Mark was written to be read at an Easter vigil,
      culminating on Easter morning. This could explain the short ending of Mark.

      >...{A friend of mine agrees:
      >
      >Tim my dear,
      > I sit on the sidelines and quite enjoy the hum and buzz. I don't like,
      >however, your definition of auditory piracy: too loose by far, as piracy
      >includes intent, the lifting of text without permission or approval. Any
      >writer or journalist such as myself knows that in certain cases,
      >"adjustments" must be made to what is said (e.g., explanations of
      >obscure terms or what the reader will not understand, corrections of
      >imprecisions or ungrammaticisms by the speaker, amplifications by
      >summing up long conversations by the "sense" of what was said, and
      >outright inventions which are a better way of putting what the speaker
      >said and which you are pretty sure he would approve of.)

      Well said! The devil is in the "adjustments", and this summary of the need
      for "adjustments" is good. As Marcus Borg would say, each generation has to
      re-tell the gospel again [because of the need for such adjustments].

      > Schacht is right about the protectiveness of an artist relative to the
      >zeal of the messianic.
      >
      >KB}

      Thank you. This has been a very interesting thread.

      Bob
      Robert Schacht
      Northern Arizona University
      Robert.Schacht@...

      "This success of my endeavors was due, I believe, to a rule of 'method':
      that we should always try to clarify and to strengthen our opponent's
      position as much as possible before criticizing him, if we wish our
      criticism to be worth while." [Sir Karl Popper, The Logic of Scientific
      Discovery (1968), p. 260 n.*5]
    • Kumo997029@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 18, 1999

        << Subj: Re: "auditory piracy"
        Date: 99-01-17 14:08:56 EST
        From: antonio.jerez@... (Antonio Jerez)
        To: Synoptic-L@...
        CC: Maluflen@...

        Leonard Maluf wrote:

        >Dear list,
        >
        > I don't know who started it, but I do hope we have seen the last for a
        >while of discourse on auditory piracy. I think it is an extremely
        unpromising
        >avenue to pursue, especially as an explanation for the gospels of Matthew
        and
        >Luke, understood as deriving from a presumed "heard" Mark. The authors of
        both
        >these Gospels are manifestly persons who had intimate, hands-on familiarity
        >with numerous books, and it is unlikely in the extreme that, even in the
        (also
        >unlikely) event that the Gospel of Mark already existed when they wrote,
        they
        >were reduced to the exigency of picking up what they could of it from random
        >auditory events. The theory simply doesn't merit the further exercise of our
        >collective mental resources, in my never-too-humble view. Requiescat in
        pace.
        >Amen.
        >
        >By the way, happy New Year, everyone!
        >
        >Leonard Maluf

        AMEN to each and everyone of those words of wisdom!

        Best wishes

        Antonio Jerez

        Drs. Maluf and Jerez,

        The story goes that the young Planck went to Zurich to hear a presentation on
        Relativity, which he didn't understand. Local Nazis were demonstrating
        outside with signs about Jew cosmology. Planck says he thought My God,
        Einstein's right! This is the best their best physicists can do!

        If you don't buy Markan priority I suggest you fight this model to the death.

        RIP and Shanah tovah,

        Tim Reynolds