Re: directional non-indicator

  • Kumo997029@aol.com
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 12, 1999

      <<
      Tim Reynolds wrote -

      >relative brevity indicates the *direction* of piracy.

      I can see that relative brevity might indicate the absence of piracy in
      one direction, but not the presence of piracy in the opposite direction.
      For where one version is briefer than another, each could be briefer
      than a version prior to both of them. If one version of a Shakespearean
      speech is longer than another, it simply does not follow that the
      shorter version was formed by pirating the longer.

      The pericope-by-pericope brevity of Mt and Lk relative to Mk might
      indicate that Mark used neither Matthew nor Luke. It is a logical
      howler, however, to infer from this that therefore Matthew and Luke used
      Mark. It is perfectly consistent with the pericope-by-pericope brevity
      of Mt and Lk relative to Mk that no synoptic gospel was dependent on any
      other synoptic gospel.

      I think Tim's statement should read -

      >-- relative brevity indicates the *absence of piracy* in the direction
      >-- from the shorter to the longer version.
      >--

      Brian,

      You're right as far as you go, but you have only one piece of a three-piece
      problem.

      Consider, if you will, the First Quarto [Q1] chunk I sent to Dr. Carlson on a
      few days ago. We have:

      1. Textual scrambling, what I've been calling "pervasive textual
      microvariants". So we know the relation between the Q1 and Folio *may* be
      auditory piracy.

      2. The Q1 version is significantly shorter. So we know that *if* AP is
      involved, the direction is from F to Q1.

      3. Finally, we know the situation of the F text, locked in a trunk backstage
      at the Globe while tickets to Hamlet were scalped outside. The case for AP
      is, I believe, conclusive.

      Compare the synoptic situation. Minor textual infidelity is the most striking
      feature of the three texts, the Mt and Lk versions are regularly shorter than
      their Mk counterparts, and Clement tells us the Mk holograph was "very well
      guarded" and accessible only through inhouse readings. If this isn't QED, I
      believe it deserves consideration.

      A friend suggests I may have overlooked something:

      Subj: Re: Non-existence of the Argument from Length
      Date: 99-01-10 17:37:21 EST
      From: TTalley532
      To: Kumo997029

      Tim,
      Seems a good parallel to the argument from length. It does not explain
      "auditory piracy," though. Wasn't that what he was asking about?
      Tom

      "Auditory piracy" is appropriating a text available only in a public recital
      venue by listening as hard as you can to a performance and then reconstructing
      it as well as possible as soon as possible.

      Tertium datur,

      Tim
    • Bob Schacht
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 12, 1999
        At 07:24 PM 1/12/99 -0500, Kumo997029@... wrote:
        >..."Auditory piracy" is appropriating a text available only in a public
        recital
        >venue by listening as hard as you can to a performance and then
        reconstructing
        >it as well as possible as soon as possible.
        >
        >Tertium datur,
        >
        >Tim

        I am intrigued by the examples from Shakespeare, and the "auditory piracy"
        concept, but the label does not transport well. The purposes of the
        performances were different: Shakespeare had every reason to want to
        control his intellectual capital. The evangelists, however, were more
        interested in *spreading* the good news. They would be well pleased at the
        efforts of an auditor to hear the Word and spread the News. This makes the
        concept all the more interesting, although a different label is needed.
        Contrast the following: Imagine a member of the audience coming up to the
        actor who portrayed Hamlet and saying, "That was a great soliloquy you did
        there; I got the 'To be, or not to be, that is the question! Whether tis
        nobler..." etc etc. for several lines, and then saying "but I lost track
        after that. Could you repeat what you said after that?" Well, the actor
        might not be to eager to recite the same lines for the benefit of the
        memorizer. But now imagine the same scene with an evangelist: "That sermon
        on the plain was really great, but I can only remember the first three
        blessings. What were the other ones?" The reader in this case would
        probably be happy to supply the information-- orally. One might even say
        that among the evangelists, 'auditory piracy' would have been encouraged?
        So in the case of the Synoptics, back-checking might have been an
        acceptable practice, whereas in the case of auditory piracy, back-checking
        would have been difficult. On the other hand, the distance between
        performances might have been greater if a whole gospel were to be heard
        only from the bishop's copy as he toured his domain.

        Nevertheless, the statistics on the mechanics of similarity between
        Shakespearean copies might make interesting comparisons regarding the
        Synoptics-- but one should also include statistics on textual variants
        within a text tradition.

        Would one of the trademarks of auditory piracy be confusion of homonyms? Do
        we have any examples of that?

        Bob
        Robert Schacht
        Northern Arizona University
        Robert.Schacht@...

        "This success of my endeavors was due, I believe, to a rule of 'method':
        that we should always try to clarify and to strengthen our opponent's
        position as much as possible before criticizing him, if we wish our
        criticism to be worth while." [Sir Karl Popper, The Logic of Scientific
        Discovery (1968), p. 260 n.*5]
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 13, 1999
          Tim Reynolds wrote -

          >The Q1 version is significantly shorter. So we know that *if* AP is
          >involved, the direction is from F to Q1.

          Tim, sorry if I am labouring the point, but no, we do not know this at
          all. I would suggest your statement should read -

          >The Q1 version is significantly shorter. So we know that *if* AP is
          >involved, the direction is NOT FROM Q1 TO F.

          The conclusion that the direction is not from Q1 to F is consistent both
          with AP in the direction from F to Q1, and also with *no* AP in the
          direction from F to Q1. If AP is involved, what can be inferred is the
          negative conclusion that the AP is not in a given direction. The
          positive conclusion, that AP is in a given direction, cannot be inferred
          from the data.

          Q1 being significantly shorter than F is a directional NON-indicator.

          Of course, if "F" is the original autograph, then the direction cannot
          be from Q1 to F in any case. We would know this, however, without even
          looking at Q1, and it would not follow from a comparison of F and Q1,
          but would be true even if Q1 was significantly longer than F. The
          special situation of "F" being an autograph manuscript is hypothetical,
          however, since we do not have any autograph manuscripts of the works of
          Shakespeare. Indeed, the whole point of arguing from the occurrence of
          AP arises from the original autographs having been lost. If we had the
          autographs, the non-original parts of the dependent scripts would be
          obvious irrespective of arguments from the occurrence of AP.

          In my view the distinction between a directional indicator and a
          directional non-indicator is by no means trivial. It seems to me that a
          great deal of synoptic criticism founders on this point. It is not at
          all easy to show that the writer of document Y used document X. Very
          often the data adduced shows *not* that the writer of document Y used X,
          but that the writer of document X did not use Y. The crucial point is
          that X not using Y is not the same as Y using X. Showing that Matthew
          did not use Luke does not show that Luke used Matthew, and so on. I have
          yet to see an argument that Luke used Matthew which does not attempt to
          use a directional non-indicator as a directional indicator.

          E-MAIL: brian@... HOMEPAGE http://www.twonh.demon.co.uk
          SNAILMAIL: Rev B. E. Wilson,
          10 York Close, Godmanchester,
          Huntingdon, Cambs, PE18 8EB, UK
          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 13, 1999
            Like Bob I am intrigued by the possibility that the first quarto of Hamlet
            (etc.) and its relationship to the folio version might shed light on the
            synoptic problem and I am grateful to Tim for bringing it up. I once went to
            see a performance of the first quarto of Hamlet, a real curiosity the most
            memorable part of which was indeed "To be or not to be; aye, there's the
            point". I seem to remember too that the line "O that this too too solid flesh
            would melt" was rendered "O that this too too sullied flesh would melt" (or
            vice versa?), which would be well explained by auditory piracy -- either word
            would make good sense.

            However in relation to the Synoptic Problem, and specifically the argument from
            length, several qualifications need to be made:

            (1) It is not the case that Matthew and Luke are consistently shorter than Mark
            in indvidual pericopae as Sanders demonstrated in _Tendencies_ (see several
            previous messasges on this).

            (2) The first quarto of Hamlet is overall shorter than the folio version. I
            remember this clearly because we had time to get a couple of rounds in before
            closing time (often the most memorable part of the evening). Now this means
            that the first quarto is shorter both in overall length and in individual
            particulars like the famous soliloquy (22 lines vs. 35 by Tim's count). This,
            then, is different from the situation in the Synoptics where Mark is overall
            shorter but sometimes in indvidual percipae longer.

            The following qualification from Bob is also right, I think, and all the more
            so if one accepts the conclusions of the recent book by Bauckham (ed.) on
            Gospel Audiences:

            > I am intrigued by the examples from Shakespeare, and the "auditory piracy"
            > concept, but the label does not transport well. The purposes of the
            > performances were different: Shakespeare had every reason to want to control
            > his intellectual capital. The evangelists, however, were more interested in
            > *spreading* the good news. They would be well pleased at the efforts of an
            > auditor to hear the Word and spread the News. This makes the concept all the
            > more interesting, although a different label is needed.

            But I for one would be interested to hear any more reflections on how this
            analogy from Shakespeare might help us get our nose out of the Synopsis.

            Mark
            --------------------------------------
            Dr Mark Goodacre M.S.Goodacre@...

            --------------------------------------

            Synoptic-L Archive: http://www.egroups.com/list/synoptic-l
            Synoptic-L Owner: mailto:Synoptic-L-Owner@...
          • Kumo997029@aol.com
            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 16, 1999

              << Subj: "auditory piracy"
              Date: 99-01-12 23:47:05 EST
              From: Robert.Schacht@... (Bob Schacht)
              To: Synoptic-L@...

              At 07:24 PM 1/12/99 -0500, Kumo997029@... wrote:
              >..."Auditory piracy" is appropriating a text available only in a public
              recital
              >venue by listening as hard as you can to a performance and then
              reconstructing
              >it as well as possible as soon as possible.
              >
              >Tertium datur,
              >
              >Tim

              I am intrigued by the examples from Shakespeare, and the "auditory piracy"
              concept, but the label does not transport well. The purposes of the
              performances were different: Shakespeare had every reason to want to
              control his intellectual capital. The evangelists, however, were more
              interested in *spreading* the good news. They would be well pleased at the
              efforts of an auditor to hear the Word and spread the News. This makes the
              concept all the more interesting, although a different label is needed.
              Contrast the following: Imagine a member of the audience coming up to the
              actor who portrayed Hamlet and saying, "That was a great soliloquy you did
              there; I got the 'To be, or not to be, that is the question! Whether tis
              nobler..." etc etc. for several lines, and then saying "but I lost track
              after that. Could you repeat what you said after that?" Well, the actor
              might not be to eager to recite the same lines for the benefit of the
              memorizer. But now imagine the same scene with an evangelist: "That sermon
              on the plain was really great, but I can only remember the first three
              blessings. What were the other ones?" The reader in this case would
              probably be happy to supply the information-- orally. One might even say
              that among the evangelists, 'auditory piracy' would have been encouraged?
              So in the case of the Synoptics, back-checking might have been an
              acceptable practice, whereas in the case of auditory piracy, back-checking
              would have been difficult. On the other hand, the distance between
              performances might have been greater if a whole gospel were to be heard
              only from the bishop's copy as he toured his domain.

              {I wish I could work the response business in the list.

              {This just in (AP!):

              {CHURCH REPORTS THEFT OF SACRED BONES

              {CHANDLER, Ariz.--Centuries-old sacred bone fragments and the reliquary box in
              which they were displayed have disappeared from a Greek Orthodox Church. The
              pebble-sized fragments date from the 3rd and 4th centuries.

              {"These are very highly venerated," said the Rev. Philip Armstrong, priest of
              St. Katherine Greek Orthodox Church. "The relics of saints are considered to
              be sources for healings, for answered prayers and for the blessing of
              premises. It is really a grave loss spiritually to us."
              --Associat
              ed Press

              {While the Church wanted Christians to share in these benefits, the idea was
              that they'd do it in Chandler. Matthew had to steal Mark's text for the same
              reason the Venetians had to steal his body. The only difference I can see is
              that the Hamlet pirate did it for money and Mt did it to make this unique
              recruitment tool available to Christendom at large, exhibiting that zeal you
              posit of the evangelists, which difference doesn't affect the texts.}

              Nevertheless, the statistics on the mechanics of similarity between
              Shakespearean copies might make interesting comparisons regarding the
              Synoptics-- but one should also include statistics on textual variants
              within a text tradition.

              {Let's not get over-involved with Shakespeare. It's more or less an accident
              that AP scholarship is more or less confined to Shakespeare studies. Once
              sensitized to the phenomenon one runs across it from time to time. In 1851
              Paris "such eminent preachers as Lacordaire and De Ravignan" complained:

              {"More than ever do we see the spread of enterprises aiming, as they
              directly announce, to publish verbatim issues of sermons, lectures,
              instructions, delivered in the churches of Paris by the most celebrated
              preachers; and this against the express wish of these preachers, against
              their incontestable rights, and to the prejudice of the dignity and
              liberty of the sacred Word. Consequently, the priests undersigned, who
              more than others have had to suffer from this lamentable industry, avow
              that not only are they averse to these reproductions, but that the same
              are generally inexact, marred, and even so deformed as to compromise, in
              outward opinion, the purity of their orthodoxy ..."}

              Would one of the trademarks of auditory piracy be confusion of homonyms? Do
              we have any examples of that?

              {Morton Smith suggested I go after itacisms. My snotty feeling (I was
              younger) was that if he couldn't see what was going on a couple of itacisms
              wouldn't enlighten him. But yes, homonyms would be "trademarks of auditory
              piracy". I haven't looked. Thesis topic.}

              Bob
              Robert Schacht
              Northern Arizona University
              Robert.Schacht@... >>

              {Tim}
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 17, 1999
                Dear list,

                I don't know who started it, but I do hope we have seen the last for a
                while of discourse on auditory piracy. I think it is an extremely unpromising
                avenue to pursue, especially as an explanation for the gospels of Matthew and
                Luke, understood as deriving from a presumed "heard" Mark. The authors of both
                these Gospels are manifestly persons who had intimate, hands-on familiarity
                with numerous books, and it is unlikely in the extreme that, even in the (also
                unlikely) event that the Gospel of Mark already existed when they wrote, they
                were reduced to the exigency of picking up what they could of it from random
                auditory events. The theory simply doesn't merit the further exercise of our
                collective mental resources, in my never-too-humble view. Requiescat in pace.
                Amen.

                By the way, happy New Year, everyone!

                Leonard Maluf
              • Antonio Jerez
                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 17, 1999
                  Leonard Maluf wrote:

                  >Dear list,
                  >
                  > I don't know who started it, but I do hope we have seen the last for a
                  >while of discourse on auditory piracy. I think it is an extremely unpromising
                  >avenue to pursue, especially as an explanation for the gospels of Matthew and
                  >Luke, understood as deriving from a presumed "heard" Mark. The authors of both
                  >these Gospels are manifestly persons who had intimate, hands-on familiarity
                  >with numerous books, and it is unlikely in the extreme that, even in the (also
                  >unlikely) event that the Gospel of Mark already existed when they wrote, they
                  >were reduced to the exigency of picking up what they could of it from random
                  >auditory events. The theory simply doesn't merit the further exercise of our
                  >collective mental resources, in my never-too-humble view. Requiescat in pace.
                  >Amen.
                  >
                  >By the way, happy New Year, everyone!
                  >
                  >Leonard Maluf

                  AMEN to each and everyone of those words of wisdom!

                  Best wishes

                  Antonio Jerez