Re: off-topic

  • Jeffrey B. Gibson
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 9, 1999
      Jack Kilmon wrote:

      > "Jeffrey B. Gibson" wrote:
      > >
      > > Does anyone know if Origen's "On Prayer" is online anywhere?
      > >

      > Have you checked:
      >
      > http://www.knight.org/advent/fathers/
      >
      > a guide to all early church documents on the www can be found at:
      >
      > http://www.ocf.org/OrthodoxPage/reading/St.Pachomius/globalindex.html#O

      Jack

      Thanks for these. They are valuable to have. But unfortunately, neither
      of them has what I'm presently looking for.

      Yours,

      Jeffrey

      --
      Jeffrey B. Gibson
      7423 N. Sheridan Road #2A
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 9, 1999
        At 11:27 AM 1/9/99 -0600, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:
        >> "Jeffrey B. Gibson" wrote:
        >> >
        >> > Does anyone know if Origen's "On Prayer" is online anywhere?
        >> >

        >> Have you checked:
        >>
        >> http://www.knight.org/advent/fathers/
        >>
        >> a guide to all early church documents on the www can be found at:
        >>
        >> http://www.ocf.org/OrthodoxPage/reading/St.Pachomius/globalindex.html#O
        >>
        >Jack
        >
        >Thanks for these. They are valuable to have. But unfortunately, neither
        >of them has what I'm presently looking for.
        >
        >Yours,
        >
        >Jeffrey
        >Chicago, Illinois 60626

        Jeffrey,
        Normally, one of the best gateways for searches such as this is
        http://www.hivolda.no/asf/kkf/rel-stud.html

        However, I couldn't find "On Prayer" there (they do have other work by
        Origen on line).

        The part you may be interested in is on the web at

        http://www.divinewill.org/origen.htm

        If you need the whole book, might it be here?:

        Author : Origen.
        Title : Prayer : Exhortation to martyrdom / Origen ;
        translated and annotated by John J. O'Meara.
        Publisher : New York : Newman Press, c1954.
        Description : viii, 253 p. ; 23 cm.
        Series : Ancient Christian writers : the works of the
        Fathers in translation ; no. 19.
        Notes : Includes bibliographical references and index.
        Subjects : Prayer -- Early works to 1800.
        : Prayer -- History.
        : Martyrdom.
        Added Entries : O'Meara, John Joseph.
        : Exhortation to martyrdom.
        Series Added Entry : Ancient Christian writers ; no. 19.

        Cheers,
        Bob
        Robert Schacht
        Northern Arizona University
        Robert.Schacht@...

        "This success of my endeavors was due, I believe, to a rule of 'method':
        that we should always try to clarify and to strengthen our opponent's
        position as much as possible before criticizing him, if we wish our
        criticism to be worth while." [Sir Karl Popper, The Logic of Scientific
        Discovery (1968), p. 260 n.*5]