off-topic

  • Jeffrey B. Gibson
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 9, 1999
      Does anyone know if Origen's "On Prayer" is online anywhere?

      Yours,

      Jeffrey Gibson
      --
      Jeffrey B. Gibson
      7423 N. Sheridan Road #2A
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 9, 1999
        "Jeffrey B. Gibson" wrote:

        > Does anyone know if Origen's "On Prayer" is online anywhere?

        Have you checked:

        http://www.knight.org/advent/fathers/

        a guide to all early church documents on the www can be found at:

        http://www.ocf.org/OrthodoxPage/reading/St.Pachomius/globalindex.html#O

        Jack

        Jack Kilmon
        jkilmon@...

        http://www.historian.net
      • Jeffrey B. Gibson
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 9, 1999
          Jack Kilmon wrote:

          > "Jeffrey B. Gibson" wrote:
          > >
          > > Does anyone know if Origen's "On Prayer" is online anywhere?
          > >

          > Have you checked:
          >
          > http://www.knight.org/advent/fathers/
          >
          > a guide to all early church documents on the www can be found at:
          >
          > http://www.ocf.org/OrthodoxPage/reading/St.Pachomius/globalindex.html#O

          Jack

          Thanks for these. They are valuable to have. But unfortunately, neither
          of them has what I'm presently looking for.

          Yours,

          Jeffrey

          --
          Jeffrey B. Gibson
          7423 N. Sheridan Road #2A
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 9, 1999
            At 11:27 AM 1/9/99 -0600, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:
            >> "Jeffrey B. Gibson" wrote:
            >> >
            >> > Does anyone know if Origen's "On Prayer" is online anywhere?
            >> >

            >> Have you checked:
            >>
            >> http://www.knight.org/advent/fathers/
            >>
            >> a guide to all early church documents on the www can be found at:
            >>
            >> http://www.ocf.org/OrthodoxPage/reading/St.Pachomius/globalindex.html#O
            >>
            >Jack
            >
            >Thanks for these. They are valuable to have. But unfortunately, neither
            >of them has what I'm presently looking for.
            >
            >Yours,
            >
            >Jeffrey
            >Chicago, Illinois 60626

            Jeffrey,
            Normally, one of the best gateways for searches such as this is
            http://www.hivolda.no/asf/kkf/rel-stud.html

            However, I couldn't find "On Prayer" there (they do have other work by
            Origen on line).

            The part you may be interested in is on the web at

            http://www.divinewill.org/origen.htm

            If you need the whole book, might it be here?:

            Author : Origen.
            Title : Prayer : Exhortation to martyrdom / Origen ;
            translated and annotated by John J. O'Meara.
            Publisher : New York : Newman Press, c1954.
            Description : viii, 253 p. ; 23 cm.
            Series : Ancient Christian writers : the works of the
            Fathers in translation ; no. 19.
            Notes : Includes bibliographical references and index.
            Subjects : Prayer -- Early works to 1800.
            : Prayer -- History.
            : Martyrdom.
            Added Entries : O'Meara, John Joseph.
            : Exhortation to martyrdom.
            Series Added Entry : Ancient Christian writers ; no. 19.

            Cheers,
            Bob
            Robert Schacht
            Northern Arizona University
            Robert.Schacht@...

            "This success of my endeavors was due, I believe, to a rule of 'method':
            that we should always try to clarify and to strengthen our opponent's
            position as much as possible before criticizing him, if we wish our
            criticism to be worth while." [Sir Karl Popper, The Logic of Scientific
            Discovery (1968), p. 260 n.*5]