Matt 6:12//Lk. 11:4a

  • Jeffrey Gibson
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 7, 1998
      I'm finally beginning my probe of the meaning of the LP petition to God to
      forgive us our "debts"/"sins", and, as always, I want to bounce off the
      collective wisdom of the B-Greek, Synoptic-L, and Crosstalk lists an
      idea that struck me while reading Lohmeyer's treatment of this plea.

      Here goes:

      If my reading of the relevant literature is correct, the "debts"/"sins"
      referred to in Matt. 6:12/Lk. 11:4a is usually taken to mean something the
      disciples have done against *God*, i.e., 'Forgive us our "debts"/"sins"' =
      'Forgive us, God, the wrongs we have done *you*".' But may not the words
      "debts"/"sins" here have the meaning "the wrongs we have done *others*",
      so that what we have in the petition is a link to Jesus' teaching
      elsewhere in the Synoptic tradition specifying that those who are true
      hUOI TOU QEOU are those who love and do no wrong/harm to their enemies,
      who are willing to treat them as God treats them?

      What is the meaning (or more particularly, the focus) of "debts"/"sins"
      here?

      Yours,

      Jeffrey Gibson
      jgibson@...