Re: Greek idiom2

  • K. Hanhart
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 6, 1998
      David Hall wrote:

      > I think maybe the disciple was Peter or John for on the Mount of
      > Transfiguration the three most trusted were Peter, James, and John. As for
      > Paul, Paul was yet a madman during the time of Jesus passion. If not a full
      > fledged madman, learning to become one.

      David, The identity of the Beloved Disciple is, of course, one of the
      most complex issues in Gospel Stduies. Your suggestion "may be the
      disciple was Peter or John was made perhaps too quickly. The BD cannot
      possibly be Peter for in Jn 13,23f and Jn 21,7ff his role is opposite
      Peter.
      As to the possibility of John Zebedee, Schnackenburg summarized the
      feeling of many,"the anonymity of [the BD].., the symbolic meaning
      apparently attributed to him, the historically suspect scenes in which
      the disciple plays a role (under the cross, running to the grave [
      Schnackenburg thinks there is only one anonymous disciple, not two KH]),
      and not least the entire presentation of the Gospel which does not give
      the impression of an eyewitness account and can hardly be credited to
      the fisherman's son from the Sea of Gennesaret - all this raises serious
      questions... In Jesus and Man's Hope p. 223 - But perhaps you want to
      maintain the classical position that John Zebedee is the author of the
      Fourth Gospel. In that case we must part ways. Karel H
    • Anthony Patterson MD
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 11, 1998
        How about Mary Magdalene as the identity of the Beloved Disciple?