Re: Greek idiom

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 6, 1998
      In a message dated 98-12-05 06:34:52 EST, grolin@... writes:

      << I am not familiar with Potterie, however, I find it interesting that he
      should translate thus:

      <"qui est de retour au sein du Pere" (if my memory, and my French, serve
      me well), which would mean: "who is now back with the Father, back in the
      Father's embrace" (Italian: tornato [ora] nel seno del Padre).>

      I would render the French as: "who is returning to the bosom of the
      Father." The Italian on the other hand would be "[chi e/who is] returned
      [now] to the bosom of the Father.">>

      Thanks, Daniel, for the above. I am extremely hesitant to correct your
      understanding of the French phrase here (because your family name looks French
      to me!) but I do think "etre de retour" is a French idiom meaning "just back".
      Thus the Italian phrase (tornato nel seno del Padre) is (I think) de la
      Potterie's best effort to exactly render the French phrase into idiomatic
      Italian. If you are interested in an introduction to the thought of de la
      Potterie, you might start with his magnificent two-volume opus on :La Verite
      dans Saint Jean (published in the Analecta Biblica series, with a date about
      1978-80.)

      Regards,
      Leonard
    • Daniel Grolin
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 6, 1998
        Dear Leonard,

        On Sun, 6 Dec 1998 Maluflen@... wrote:

        > Thanks, Daniel, for the above. I am extremely hesitant to correct your
        > understanding of the French phrase here (because your family name
        > looks French to me!) but I do think "etre de retour" is a French idiom
        > meaning "just back". Thus the Italian phrase (tornato nel seno del
        > Padre) is (I think) de la Potterie's best effort to exactly render the
        > French phrase into idiomatic Italian. If you are interested in an
        > introduction to the thought of de la Potterie, you might start with
        > his magnificent two-volume opus on :La Verite dans Saint Jean
        > (published in the Analecta Biblica series, with a date about 1978-80.)

        No you are quite correct "etre de retour" is indeed idiomatic and does
        translate "to be back". While I have lived in Italy, my French is only
        High School French, hence ...

        Regards,

        Daniel