Re: Greek idiom (triclinium)

  • Thomas R. W. Longstaff
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 5, 1998
      At 12:17 PM 12/5/98 -0700, Bob Schacht wrote:

      >So perhaps there are some synoptic issues here, after all.

      Good points, Bob. As you present the texts it seems that
      there are very likely some synoptic issues here. At the
      level of text there are interesting issues of how the authors
      envisioned the scene.

      You mention the configuration of modern homes in the near
      east. Are you suggesting that homes in the first century
      were essentially similar? You don't talk much about the
      archaeological evidence for domestic structures in first
      century Galilee. Is it possible that Mark wrote at Rome
      (or somewhere else outside of Palestine) and, not knowing
      well what houses there were like, used Roman houses as his
      model?

      I concede that there are likely synoptic issues here but also
      still think that we often read the texts with images in mind
      that do not well reflect the environment of ancient Galilee.

      So, maybe the thread should continue.......

      trwl

      And the child said, "Look! The emperor isn't wearing any clothes."

      Dr. Thomas R. W. Longstaff
      Colby College
      Waterville, ME 04901
      Email: t_longst@...