The Duty to Translate: Was: Re: Notitia Dignitatum

  • TonyProst@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 1998
      I would like to lay a challenge to classicists on the list, and propose that
      there is a duty to translate. Only people with particular skills are able to
      do this, and there remain many (countless?) documents which require
      translation into English either for the first time, or modernly.

      At this time in history, when raw information is available as never before,
      these documents of antiquity should be available. And now, during a resurgence
      of classics studies, our classicists should affirmatively take on the task of
      translating as a duty to modern civilization.

      Hence, I challenge every person reading this who has the skills, to select a
      document of particular interest to him, and to aggressively search for
      underrepresented manuscripts, and to produce new translations. If you have
      these skills, use them for the benefit of humanity. If each capable scholar or
      amateur on this list were to translate one document, the quantum of human
      knowledge would be expanded enormously.

      So, guys and gals, rev up those lexicons, and do your duty to mankind!

      Regards,
      Tony Prost
      All Nonnos All Day
      http://members.aol.com/tonyprost/index.html