SBL

  • Jeffrey B. Gibson
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 25, 1998
      Well, another SBL has come and gone. I managed to attend the first Q
      session where Horsley, A.Y. Collins, Boring, and Jacobson presented
      papers; the first, and a portion of the second Synoptic Gospels section,
      a Pauline section where Bob Jewett gave a wonderful paper on the use of
      the concept of "the rapture" in American politics and religion; but
      managed to go too late to hear Tom Wright, Dom Crossan, Marcus Borg, and
      Elaine Pagels speak about what the HJ means to them (very crowded). And
      then I presented my LP paper at the second Q section.

      The Horsley et al. session was surprisingly unlively as was the first
      Synoptic Gospels session. But this was made up for by what I heard at
      the second session, namely excellent papers delivered excellently by
      Mark Goodacre, doing a sparkling and witty job on questioning certain
      arguments for Q, and Joel Marcus, on whether or not Mark is a Pauline
      Gospel (with a good argument that it was). How well my own paper went
      is, of course, difficult for me to assess. Thought the paper before it
      by James Robinson was extremely intriguing, I thought.

      Part of what makes these conferences is the hobnobbing that goes on.
      Given that I was able to spend some time with, and firm up acquaintances
      with Tom Wright, Marcus Borg, Arland Jacobson, Edward Hobbs, Frederick
      Danker (he promises that the BAGD will be ready by June, by the way),
      AKMA Adam,Phillip Eisler, not to mention Mark G., and to meet Mark Alan
      Powell, Ben Witherington, Richard Burridge (who, when told I was doing
      work on the LP, actually asked "and what do you make of the PEIRASMOS
      passage?' --- talk about a set up!), Ron Piper, Shawn Caruth, Stephen
      Carlson, and a variety of others, I think that -despite being entrapped
      in Disney Land where prices are extortionate- it was a worthwhile
      journey.

      Yours (name droppingly),

      Jeffrey Gibson
      --