Re: On the GH

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 24, 1998
      Daniel Grolin wrote:

      > On Tue, 24 Nov 1998, Jack Kilmon wrote:
      >

      > > Which one, Dan? That the Thomasine community and literature was Edessan
      > > or
      > > that GH was G of T?
      >
      > Well, mostly the last one. I find it to be quit dificult to imagine that
      > there should be any connection. The other point would also be interesting.
      > I am particularly interested in knowing what sort of community the Gospel
      > of Thomas came from.

      Robinson and Koester in "Trajectories through Early Christianity" 1971
      Fortress,
      Phila. I believe were the first to show that the original provenance of
      G of T was Edessa. Crossan, in "Four Other Gospels" summarizes the
      Edessan
      Syrian origin of the Thomas tradition including the other Thomasine
      works.
      I find it very convincing. The association of GH with G of T will take
      me
      a little time and I will revisit that with you later tonight (gotta go
      work...groan).

      Jack

      Jack Kilmon
      jkilmon@...