RE: graphai nativity accounts

  • Andrew T. Dolan
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 1998
      Bill Arnal asked about the narrative backgrounds for the canonical infancy
      narratives of Jesus. The best resource, I believe, is Raymond Brown's
      recently updated _Birth of the Messiah_. On the new Moses theme of the
      Matthean account, see also Dale C. Allison, Jr., _The New Moses: A Matthean
      Typology_. The Balaam narrative from Numbers is likely involved in the
      Matthean narrative. (Note that Philo called Balaam a _magos_.) HB/OT
      annunciation and infancy narratives likely provide part of the framework for
      both Matthew and Luke.

      Andrew T. Dolan, M.A., ABD
      Adjunct Professor, Religion and Classics
      LaSalle University - Box 129
      1900 W. Olney Avenue
      Philadelphia, PA 19141-1199
      (215) 951-1666/1335