Re: Matt. 6:9//Lk. 11:2 and Ezek. 36

  • Jeffrey Gibson
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 27, 1998
      On Fri, 27 Feb 1998, Mark Goodacre wrote:

      > One other piece of evidence ought perhaps to be thrown in on this
      > one: the Didache. The Didache's Lord's Prayer is, of course, pretty
      > much Matthew's but the post-eucharist prayer is an interesting
      > exposition / expansion of elements in the Lord's Prayer. Let me
      > paste Lightfoot's translation:
      >
      > We have here the hallowing petition expanded with material about
      > God's holy name (hUPER TOU hAGIOU ONOMATOS SOU), caused to
      > tabernacle in our hearts (hOU KATESKHNWSAS EN TAIS KARDIAIS hHMWN).
      > Does this shed any light on the petition, Jeffrey? Is the Didache
      > taking 'hallowed be thy name' as equivalent to 'May your holy name
      > dwell in us'?.

      Mark,

      I am not familiar enough with the thrust of the Didache to answer this
      with any certainty. (List members may wish to know that the publication of
      a new commentary on the Didache in the Hermenia series has just been
      announced). But it seems to me that if "May your holy name dwell in us"
      echoes OT themes about God's name dwelling in Israel, the answer would be
      yes, and in support of my position that the petition at Matt. 6:9//Lk,
      11:2 is a call to have God protect the disciples from apostasy. Without
      looking this up - and here's another topic for discussion!, memory
      indicates that "the name" (or parallel terms for God himself like the
      Shekina) dwells "in" or amongst Israel both in order to make Isarel
      obdeient and in response to their obedience. Conversely, the "name"
      refuses to dwell "in" his elect, and departs from them, when Israel is
      disobedient. Is this is the case, then it would seem to follow that the
      imploring in the Didache for God to "dwell" is additional evidence that
      "May your name be made holy" means what I think it means

      Moreover, do we even need to go as far as the Didache (which, of course,
      is not really all that far) to understand how Matt. 6:9 was understood by
      the Matthean community or those who read Matthew? Does not the petition
      "May your will be done..." indicate that the thrust of the LP is about
      disciples praying for divine aid to be faithful? [I am assuming that those
      who are envisaged as "doing God's will" are the disciples - yet *another*
      topic of discussion: "may your will be done *by whom*?)

      > > [Jeffrey Gibson asked:

      > > > Is it mine or
      > > the one advocated by Edgar Krentz/E. Schweizer/(and apparently?)
      > > Mark Goodacre?

      > My quotation of Schweizer did not imply agreement with him -- my mind
      > is not made up on this and I am attracted by your ideas.]

      That's why I said "apparently" :). But I appreciate that you are taking
      the role of Devil's advocate.

      Yours,

      Jeffrey Gibson
      jgibson@...