Re: definition of the synoptic problem

  • Jakob Heckert
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 11, 1998
      Thomas R. W. Longstaff wrote:

      > Without reproducing what everyone has already contributed (which
      > is a very fruitful discussion), let me put in my two-cents worth:
      >
      > For me the synoptic problem is the problem of explaining the complex
      > pattern of similarity and dissimilarity (agreement and divergence)
      > that emerges when the texts of Matthew, Mark, and Luke are compared
      > with one another. Theories may be limited to the strict comparison of
      > written texts (with due consideration to source criticism) or may
      > include suggestions about the viability of an oral tradition. Indeed many
      > hypotheses will include elements of both.
      >
      > Tom Longstaff
      > Colby College
      > Waterville, ME
      This is a good definition, as I understand it. When I look at the
      material in Aland's Synopsis, I see agreements and divergences. The
      question is, How can these be explained. It would seem to me also that
      we need to take into account what the post-apostolic church tells us
      about the interrelationship. Blessings. Jakob Heckert.