graphai Matthew frags.

  • Tim Dickens
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 25, 1998
      Hi everyone!

      I received this message a few days ago from another list. I thought it
      might be of some interest to members of Synoptic-L.

      Enjoy!

      Tim Dickens

      >To: Graphai <graphai@...>
      >Subject: graphai Matthew frags.

      > I ran across this interesting item while browsing the Web. The
      >latest volume of _Oxyrhynchus Papyri_ includes early fragments of
      >Matthew. This is what they list for vol. 64:
      >
      >#4401 Matthew iii 10-12, 16-iv 3 C3
      >
      >#4402 Matthew iv 11-12, 22-23 C3-early C4
      >
      >#4403 Matthew xiii 55-56, xiv 3-5 late C2-early C3
      >
      >#4404 Matthew xxi 34-37, 43, 45(?) late C2
      >
      >#4405 Matthew xxiii 30-34, 35-39 late C2-early C3
      >
      >#4406 Matthew xxvii 62-64, xxviii 2-5 C5-C6
      >

      >The URL for the site in Oxford is:
      >
      > http://www.csad.ox.ac.uk/POxy/tocs/lxiv.htm
      >
      >K. C. Hanson
      >^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      >kchanson@...
      >http://www.stolaf.edu/people/kchanson
      >Religion Department
      >St. Olaf College
      >Northfield, MN 55057

      Peace and Love
      Timothy T. Dickens
      Tynell@...

      Please visit my webpage at:

      http://www.mindspring.com/~tynell/timspge.htm

      Moreover I saw under the sun that in the place of justice [i.e.,
      governments], wickedness was there, and in the place of righteousness,
      wickedness was there as well. I said in my heart, God will judge the
      righteous and the wicked, for he has appointed a time for every matter, and
      for every work. I said in my heart with regard to human beings that God is
      testing them to show that they are but animals. For the fate of humans and
      the fate of animals is the same; as one dies, so dies the other. I saw all
      the oppressions that are practiced under the sun. Look, the tears of the
      oppressed, with no one to comfort them! On the side of their oppressors
      there was power with no one to comfort them. And I thought the dead, who
      have already died, [are] more fortunate than the living, who are still
      alive; but better than both is the one who has not yet been, and has not
      seen the evil deeds that are done under the sun.

      Ecclesastes 3:16-19a, 4:1-3